Active Now

DannyPetti
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Communication » Do you still answer your phone, even if you don't recognize the phone number?

Do you still answer your phone, even if you don't recognize the phone number?

Sorry, but I won't answer any number that lacks a caller ID.  Sometimes I will have someone say to me, "You never pick up your phone!"  I will say, "did you leave me a message?", which usually gets answered with, "Um....no."

If you don't leave a message, how the heck am I going to know who you are or what you want?  I do return any message I get.  There are too many spam callers out there for me to answer a number I don't recognize.

Posted - February 12, 2018

Responses

Very true.  A dead give away is that initial silence on the other end.  A few seconds of dead air wiould make me hang up if I were to ever pick up.
      February 13, 2018 10:12 AM MST

Most of my telephone, and all my Internet, use is by land-line; and since that 'phone does not display anything. I am just careful not to give my name or number when I answer.

If it's an unsolicited sales / "survey" call, or obviously a fraud attempt, I soon end it. If it's one of those un-nerving silent calls from automatic ring-round machines, sometimes I let it run its course, hoping thereby to waste the calling organisation's money. 

My portable phone might show the caller's number but as I don't attempt to remember the very few numbers likely to ring me, I've normally no idea who is calling until they speak! (For occasions when I need to quote the telephone's own number which I cannot, and do not try to, remember, I have listed it in the internal directory.)   
      March 5, 2018 3:13 PM MST