Active Now

Shuhak
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » If you lost someone you loved to gun violence, how would you feel about a condolence call from someone who revoked a regulation that helped

If you lost someone you loved to gun violence, how would you feel about a condolence call from someone who revoked a regulation that helped

to keep guns out of the hands of people with serious mental illness? 

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/02/02/house-republicans-move-to-scrap-obama-rule-on-gun-background-checks.html

Posted - February 15, 2018

Responses

It's mind boggling that they fought so hard to keep guns out of the hands of those with significant mental illness. 

It's also amusing to me that the ones who scream the loudest about their 2nd Amendment rights are the ones who elected a fascist who might actually be exactly who the founding fathers had in mind when they decided to allow citizens to own guns in the first dammed place. 

**I wrote daMMed, which isn't a curse word**

February 15, 2018 9:20 PM MST

:)
    I admit I'm unsure if I'm following you on your sentence about they fought hard to keep guns out of the hands of those with significant mental illness. That seems to be maybe a step in the direction of dealing with the violence? A step on a positive direction? Or am I missing something? -- Which I admit --  I miss things a lot! Ha!

update - - or are you saying that so much work was done and then it was repealed?
    I'm not thinking so straight this morning. This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at February 16, 2018 7:09 AM MST
      February 16, 2018 7:01 AM MST

I typed that wrong. I meant to say that they (republicans, including Trump, who get richer courtesy of the NRA and gun manufacturers) fought so hard AGAINST the Obama-era regulation that attempted to keep guns OUT of the hands of the seriously mentally ill. 

In other words, yes, to your update. 

It's okay. you don't have to think straight. I am straight, and it's hard for me, too. 

February 17, 2018 11:35 AM MST

Thanks for helping me there, SavvyAnsley.
      February 17, 2018 12:44 PM MST

Get real. You are more likely to die in a fire than to get shot, and you are more likely to get shot by a cop than by a citizen. So many people are killed by cops that they won't record statistics: they are too embarrassing.
      February 16, 2018 2:56 AM MST

More likely to die in a fire set by someone who receives money from the government for a mental illness? 

Are cops really shooting more people than everyday citizens/criminals now?? Holy crap!! We need a LOT more kneeling at sporting events, don't we?
      February 17, 2018 11:59 AM MST

In many parts of this country gun violence is an unfortunate everyday occurrence and while it does not make the loss of a loved one or even of anyone any easier people in these neighborhoods do develop a certain philosophical resignation to it.  As well as a fear. 
      February 16, 2018 5:15 AM MST

Bullsnot. Two occasions in one year is considered a cause for much sniveling.
      February 16, 2018 4:50 PM MST

Not sure how this relates to my question. 

The fact that he smiles and gives a thumbs up during photo ops as he gives his condolences adds even more insult to injury. 

He is shameless and repulsive. 
      February 17, 2018 12:08 PM MST

You make a terrific point, Savvy, but nothing shocks me after our beloved President picks up the phone and tells a mother of a soldier that got killed because of Trump's oversight and  neglect (another story) that her son knew what he was signing up for.

????

That is like telling OJ Simpson's wife that she knew what OJ was like.

How about going to her funeral and announcing that at the podium when she is being laid to rest.  "Well, we are all sorry for this loss, BUT Nicole KNEW what she was signing up for, after all."

That is what TRUMP did to this mother whose heart will never mend. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at February 17, 2018 12:10 PM MST
      February 17, 2018 12:01 PM MST

True. Nothing he does shocks me, either. I'm not even shocked by his followers continuing to defend whatever he says or does. 

It sounds like many Floridians are letting him know what they think of him!

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/16/politics/trump-broward-county-vice-mayor-florida-shooting-cnntv/index.html

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/374241-florida-students-protest-trump-nra
      February 17, 2018 12:14 PM MST

I pray this is enough to sway the mid-term elections (and the Russia probe) to at least unseat a lot of these monsters in Congress and make way for some DEMOCRACY.

I also pray that Trump goes to jail.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at February 17, 2018 8:50 PM MST
      February 17, 2018 12:16 PM MST

People offer this all of the time and to that I say this: 

February 17, 2018 12:49 PM MST

Neil Degrasse Tyson is a mess.
      February 17, 2018 1:34 PM MST

YEP
      February 17, 2018 5:21 PM MST