Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Environment » Looking back to your teen years, are there some things others were doing that you're now glad you didn't participate? ~

Looking back to your teen years, are there some things others were doing that you're now glad you didn't participate? ~

Posted - February 17, 2018

Responses

When I was in high school, quite a few kids were smoking marijuana.  That is something that, to this day, I have never done and don't regret it. 
      February 17, 2018 6:58 AM MST

Drugs. Some of my friends went to Woodstock; I joined the Navy instead.
      February 17, 2018 7:49 AM MST

Disco. 
    I was Heavy Metal and Rock. Still am.  This post was edited by Don Barzini at June 15, 2018 8:58 AM MDT
      February 17, 2018 8:02 AM MST

Drugs.........I never touched them.  I've met people, especially from the West, who simply do not believe that.  Of course it's kind of a western mindset that if they do it, everybody else does or should.  It's just not so.
      February 17, 2018 12:16 PM MST

You and I are in the exact same camp, with the exception that as a black kid from the so-called "inner city", no one bought it that I had a mind of my own and didn't follow the crowd like a sheep. There are members of my own family who fell for the "it's normal and natural to take drugs" crap, I wouldn't follow them to the corner store.

To this day I've never even had the slightest curiosity or interest in trying illegal drugs, and I'm not only glad about it, I'm proud of it too. 
    ~
      February 17, 2018 5:02 PM MST

I sensed strength of character when I first had interaction with you.  Neither of us blindly follow, that's so true.  You have every right to be proud of that background.  That background is an excuse we hear over and over again for adult crimes and behavior.   I grew up in a city neighborhood but it was by a steel mill and all of the dads worked there.  We were raised with a strong work ethic and when we weren't at school or home, you could find us at Church.  I have many times said that I loved how and when I grew up.  We got to be kids for a long time and when we graduated from high school (which everyone, everyone did) you went to college or went to work.  None of that living off parents after high school.  It was just understood.  We didn't have much money but it didn't make any difference.....just like it should be.  
      February 17, 2018 5:53 PM MST

June 15, 2018 5:51 AM MDT

Alcohol and other illegal drugs

Addiction was already being done in my family.

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at June 15, 2018 8:59 AM MDT
      February 17, 2018 5:57 PM MST

Drug abuse was already rampant in the area where I lived. One of my brothers got himself in a lot of trouble. I am thankful I wasn't drawn to that life. Maybe it's because I have always feared physical pain. I don't get the logic of getting drunk, knowing the next day I will be miserable. 
      June 14, 2018 10:36 PM MDT

No I did it all.  Wish I had not but I felt that was the only alternative to not fitting in, disappointing everyone, and hating myself. 
      June 15, 2018 5:12 AM MDT