Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Durdle
DannyPetti
Reverend Muhammadovsky
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Entertainment » For you, what is a major difference between Burlesque and Strip Tease?

For you, what is a major difference between Burlesque and Strip Tease?

Posted - February 17, 2018

Responses

I always thought "burlesque" referred to that brief period between the end of vaudeville and the beginning of television. I have never seen anything called "burlesque". I have seen something called "strip tease". I saw Natalie Wood portray Gypsy Rose Lee and that is enough strip tease for one lifetime.

February 17, 2018 8:49 PM MST

• Burlesque does still exist but not common. never saw that movie but Natalie Wood was definitely okay with me. Thanks.
      February 18, 2018 8:51 AM MST

February 18, 2018 11:55 PM MST

Gypsy was a great show and good movie.  And that part where she looks in the mirror and say "Mama - I'm a pretty girl!" I always cry at .   Every time.  Interesting to me that the part is so understated in that play as are the actresses who appear in it - as was Natalie Wood in the film.  The actual Gypsy Rose Lee I remember seeing on TV when I was young and she was loud and brassy rather than understated. 
      February 18, 2018 10:32 AM MST

Burlesque is about actual entertainment, particularly those that do more traditional vaudeville-style shows. You'll see people who do all sorts of things, from artful dances, to comedy, aerial stunts, mini-plays and such. Stripping is all about removing clothes. There's nothing more to it. 
      February 18, 2018 3:18 AM MST

• Thanks and I am trying to decide which one you prefer from this answer. o-O
      February 18, 2018 8:55 AM MST

lol I prefer burlesque. 
      February 18, 2018 2:36 PM MST

Burlesques were originally shows making fun of various aspect of society which had a lot of girls in tights who danced often in chorus. Eventually in the U.S. this developed (or deteriorated!) into shows with comics and strippers and dancers and much of the comedy was low and suggestive and the audience was mostly male.  I don't know =   I guess there was some nudity at least from the 1920s if not earlier.  And there were burlesque theater chains just like vaudeville circuits (vaudeville was variety acts and more family-oriented).  A lot of the big burlesque theater strippers became very famous in the 1930s like Ann Corio and Sally Rand and were well known to the public.   In Desolation Angels by Jack Kerouac he records and describes a visit to a Seattle burlesque house in the mid 1950s.  Strip clubs are just different girls (or  sometimes guys!) doing their act and no other kinds of acts. I looked this up. I was at a strip club many years ago but never saw any real burlesque except recreations on TV or in  films but I don't know how accurate these would have been.  

Just Asking, moderator of this site, performs in modern burlesque entertainments so she would be able to tell you about what those are like. 
      February 18, 2018 9:44 AM MST