Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Entertainment » Is it weird that I'm a black man that has no interest in seeing "Black Panther"?

Is it weird that I'm a black man that has no interest in seeing "Black Panther"?

Posted - February 20, 2018

Responses

• Not at all. I'm a white man who has no interest in watching Wonder Woman, or any other garbage Hollywood churns out these days.
      February 20, 2018 9:51 PM MST

Is it weird that a black man is so concerned about race? 
      February 20, 2018 10:03 PM MST

I know, right? 
      February 20, 2018 10:05 PM MST

No. Kinda like how I'm a woman who had no interest in seeing that new Ghostbusters movie. Then there are some people who would accuse you of being misogynist or racist or whatever simply for not wanting to see a certain movie. It's just a movie, people, everyone has a different taste. Black Panther looks pretty neat to me though. It has nothing to do with race, it just looks cool. I'll probably wait to see it just because I don't really like going to the theatre.
      February 20, 2018 10:14 PM MST

Negative
      February 20, 2018 10:33 PM MST

I'm a white woman who has no interest in seeing any movies lately.

It's like vampires.  It's like zombies.  It's like the same old thing over and over.   I mean Super Heroes.

Enough already...

February 20, 2018 10:42 PM MST

I don't think it's weird at all. I'm also black, and I've lived my entire life putting up with what one person thinks I should be doing just because I'm black and what another person thinks I shouldn't be doing just because I'm black. You don't have to go running just because someone thinks you should. 

Besides that, I think it's important for a lot of people to go see a movie because it's a good movie, not just black people going to see a "black-themed" movie. The average fare at a theatre isn't aimed primarily at minorities, yet the studios expect green dollars from anyone and everyone. When a well made minority-related project comes along, I prefer that minorities and non-minorities alike flock to it. Hollywood hasn't been very catering to people who don't fit its target demographics, so when those stereotypical attitudes are challenged with a new movie outside of the mold, a better message is sent by all people enjoying it rather than a small, closed group. 

Normally, I don't watch the superhero movies, but I did join the $200m+ profit-makers this past weekend who boosted "The Black Panther" to box office gold. I was very pleased to see a wide variety of ethnicities in that packed theatre. I got there and bought a ticket for my son and myself for the first matinee showing, and not only did it soon sell out, every screening for the rest of the day also sold out. 

You're ok just like you are, Zack my brother. 
    :) This post was edited by Randy D at February 21, 2018 3:16 PM MST
      February 20, 2018 10:49 PM MST

Oh sure, give Asker's to the bro.  I get it.  Bros b4 cracker hos.  I get it. 

(JK)

February 21, 2018 10:16 AM MST

You so silly, Shar-O. 

~
      February 21, 2018 3:01 PM MST

And she is sitting on the panther.  You must notice that nuance.
      February 21, 2018 3:16 PM MST

Dude...Indenting paragraphs. I'm proud of you.
      February 21, 2018 12:14 PM MST

I've been indenting for about a month. Are you just now noticing?  
    ~
      February 21, 2018 3:52 PM MST

Know...
      February 22, 2018 6:54 PM MST

I hear it is a REALLY GOOD movie.
    I can't wait to see it.
      February 21, 2018 9:18 AM MST

LOL

Ok then.   It probably is.  It is just that there are so many super hero things out there. 

February 21, 2018 10:14 AM MST

Is it weird that I'm a white chick who went to see it? I'd like to think not. I don't personally see why it has to be a race issue, though I could see how it might be for some. 

When I went, I had a group of kids with me, ranging from ages 6-9, all white. After the movie, the kids were excited and in superhero mode. Every single one had decided he or she was the Black Panther and proceeded to play fight in "ritual combat." It wasn't too long before my youngest went tumbling backward and almost barreled into a group leaving the theater... all African-American and dressed in traditional African garb. He caught himself just shy of bumping into one of them, looked up, smiled, apologized, and then explained that he was the Black Panther before scampering back to the group of kids again. For a brief moment, I held my breath waiting to see how they'd react. Obviously, my son was out of line by being so rambunctious. They could have been frustrated with him for that. They could have made some kind of remark about how he couldn't possibly be the Black Panther because he isn't black. It could have been ugly. Instead, they smiled back at him and continued discussing the movie among each other. It wasn't even a thing. 

I don't think I'm the least bit qualified to tell a black person how he or she should feel about a racial issue. That's not a life I've lived. I have never worn those shoes. I can only see life through my lens and try to learn from people who have actually been there. However, I'd venture to guess that if my son can "be" the Black Panther, it's probably cool if you don't have any interest in the movie as well. 
      February 21, 2018 11:03 AM MST

That's ok: for decades, any kid who wasn't Caucasian and wanted to play Superman or Catwoman or Wonder Woman or Batman or Spiderman or The Fantastic Four or Captain America . . . 
    ~
      February 21, 2018 3:07 PM MST

Enough already.  Let the black man think of another idea.   This is worn out already.

How about black furries that can't stop making love or something?

February 21, 2018 3:18 PM MST

Who even knows or understands what you mean?
    -
      February 21, 2018 3:47 PM MST

I'm and old white dude who can't wait for it to come on Netflix. (I don't go to theaters.)
      February 21, 2018 12:13 PM MST

(and an)
      February 21, 2018 3:08 PM MST

Grrr...stop that. I have no feeling in my left hand fingers and can't help that. (really). Very annoying..
      February 22, 2018 6:59 PM MST