Discussion » Questions » Finance » Are there some cosmetic and/or toiletry products that you believe are merely money-making scams by that industry? ~

Are there some cosmetic and/or toiletry products that you believe are merely money-making scams by that industry? ~

For example:

Exfoliant
Mud Packs
Pore Cleanser
Hair Tonic
Wrinkle-Reducer Creme
Anti-Aging Ointment
Men's Facial Scrub
Other_____________

Posted - February 21, 2018

Responses

Many are real. I'll use one of your examples...exfoliants. All they do is remove dead skin cells from the surface of the skin. So will a washcloth. The scam is for the ignorant people who believe the cosmetic exfoliant is superior so they will pay lots of money for them. Businesses have been preying on the ignorant/stupid for centuries.
      February 21, 2018 7:14 AM MST

When you say that many are real, do you mean real as in truly effective?
    ~
      February 21, 2018 3:54 PM MST

Sure...I use a body wash. It is an inexpensive brand. I have used a very expensive brand and it didn't work any better. There are skin creams that contain tretinoin, which does reduce fine lines and lightens age spots, but the cosmetic companies don't mentions the restrictions. Aren't you glad we are men and don't have to worry about all of that crap?
      February 22, 2018 9:18 AM MST

All of that stuff works if you don't buy it in the grocery store and buy it from reputable companies.

They usually cost more and they work if you need work from them.

If you look like you never took care of yourself and have clogged pores, an exfoliant from the local drug store won't cut it.  You need a professional facial.

February 21, 2018 7:23 AM MST

Why on earth people go out of their way to purchase such expensive toilet water when they can quite easily make and use their own....

I do and I just need to find a boy friend to see if this stuff really works.....:( This post was edited by Nice Jugs at February 21, 2018 3:59 PM MST
      February 21, 2018 7:24 AM MST

((((Pssst, NJ!  I think you're doing it all wrong.)))))

She can't hear me over the noise of all those bubbles she's blowing, folks. 

~
      February 21, 2018 3:58 PM MST

I'm sick of questions like this....and I dont like this type of toilet humour  either.....:(
      February 21, 2018 4:40 PM MST

Oh no she didn't!  (Wait, did she?)

~
      February 21, 2018 5:05 PM MST

Probably most of them.  But as consumers in a free society we have the right to purchase them anyway for any real or imagined good they do us. Or that we think they will do us.  Rather than being told what to do by "big brother". 
      February 21, 2018 7:29 AM MST

Pore strips. They're actually garbage. Not only does the adhesive irritate and damage skin, but it doesn't "fix" the problem. You're unlikely to pull out the whole blackhead, the pore stays enlarged, and it just clogs back up again. It's a gimmick. You feel like you've done something because you've got this nasty little strip covered in blackheads, but it's smoke and mirrors.

February 21, 2018 11:10 AM MST

Life hack. Elmer's glue.
      February 21, 2018 11:14 AM MST

99% of what is on the market does not do what it claims.   If you do a chemical check through 

https://www.ewg.org/skindeep/#.Wo3GYfq9e1s

of your products you will find the ones without harmful chemicals.  Expensive ones are sometimes among the worst offenders.

Know what you are bathing with, moisturizing with, enhancing with, and scenting with.

This is one of the best websites I've ever found and have been using it for years.  EWG now gives it approval to products by applying their stamp of approval.  That should make things easier for those of us concerned about chemical exposure and how it is hurting and killing us and our children.

Rule of thumb, if the ingredient list includes the word fragrance find another product.  That word is code for chemical.  Natural scents are described as oils usually.  
      February 21, 2018 12:28 PM MST

As someone that has tried a lot of different things for my skin, I have to agree that most of it is bs.  I do think it's important to thoroughly wash your face and then use a moisturizer is you are older.  But very few things are worth the price.
      February 21, 2018 1:32 PM MST

• I own an absurd amount of skincare/cosmetic products and I have the amazing skin. I think it depends what you buy. I definitely agree with JA about the pore strips, they’re trash. I like the black mask that rips those suckers right out. It hurts but it gets the job done. Exfoliating is important especially if you wear makeup. If you put foundation on a dry face you will like paint peeling off a wall. I don’t use cheap ”pore cleansers” because they don’t work either. I go straight in there everyday with benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid to prevent acne. 

i don’t buy any hair products besides shampoo, conditioner and detangler because I really only wash my hair like three times a week. 

I also like the activated charcoal toothpolish that’s been really big lately. I was skeptical about rubbing it in my mouth but it actually does what it advertises. 

I dont think that all of the products are useless at all, it’s all about what you get and how you use it. A 30 dollar exfoliatant is going to be far better than a 5 dollar. 
      February 21, 2018 4:24 PM MST