Active Now

Shuhak
DannyPetti
Discussion » Questions » Communication » Isn't it about time that teenagers became activists again? I have seen no sign of youth uprising since the 60's.

Isn't it about time that teenagers became activists again? I have seen no sign of youth uprising since the 60's.

Students at high schools across the U.S. are staging walkouts to protest gun violence in the wake of last week’s deadly school shooting in Florida.

The demonstrations took place Wednesday at schools from Maine to Arizona. Some lasted 17 minutes in honor of the 17 people killed one week earlier at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland.

Students at many of the protests called for stronger gun control and said they’re taking action to protect schools because Congress hasn’t.

Hundreds of students in Maryland left class to rally outside the U.S. Capitol, some carrying signs saying “Make Our Schools Safer.”

Students at Simon Kenton High School near Cincinnati marched around their school chanting “Never again.”

More walkouts are already being planned for March 14, a month after the Florida shooting.
Students participate in a protest against gun violence February 21, 2018 on Capitol Hill in Washington, DC.

Posted - February 22, 2018

Responses

The kids are eating laundry soap and the third greatest cause of death is suicide. (Car wrecks and homicide are #1 and #2.) You want them to find some sort of activism that you consider more appropriate?

What do you do with nonconformists who refuse to conform to current standards of nonconformity?
      February 23, 2018 1:36 AM MST

Haha very clever. But there is some truth in what you have posted. 
      February 23, 2018 5:19 AM MST

Time they stood up to the politically correct bullies 
      February 23, 2018 2:54 AM MST

The activists of the 1960s - many of whom I knew and were only a few years older than I was - were primarily college - grad school students so a slightly older demographic.  And remember (because you were part of that generation) grew up a time when the kids were the be-all and end-all of family life so they were taken very seriously.  And because of that they pretty much assumed people would continue to listen to them.  So became discouraged when they found out that few people did and in the larger scheme of things they were not so important. 
      February 23, 2018 5:18 AM MST

Actually the whole "walk-out" thing makes no sense. Inspired originally by labor work stoppages which of course did have an effect because with the work force out nothing got produced.  But because school doesn't depend on the kids but is to their advantage well then by not going they are only hurting themselves.  Either that or they have an inflated sense of their own importance.  But hard to take anything like that seriously when by hurting themselves they don't even take themselves seriously.
      February 23, 2018 5:24 AM MST

It's a protest which calls attention to the issue and gets people working on it. I seriously cannot understand where you are coming from with this comment. 
      February 23, 2018 6:33 AM MST

I thought it was just me that didn't understand.  Whew!
      February 23, 2018 10:11 AM MST