Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » If Jesus and Muhammad met, would they become buddies?

If Jesus and Muhammad met, would they become buddies?

Posted - March 1, 2018

Responses

Unlikely. Jesus was a Jew, Muhammad an Arab. The Israelites and Ishmaelites have been at war for four thousand years. Mutual respect is possible, even likely. Friendship I seriously doubt.
      March 1, 2018 3:56 PM MST

But I thought there was only one God, which means the our God and Allah were the same. Two people worshiping the same God can't be homies?
      March 1, 2018 4:03 PM MST

Have you ever been to Northern Ireland? Protestants and Catholics worship the same Christ, but can't stand the sight of each other's shadow.
      March 1, 2018 4:05 PM MST

How effing stupid is that. Probably Trump's fault.
      March 1, 2018 4:07 PM MST

Glasgow, in Scotland, is almost as bad but there it has a lot to do with football (soccer). Rangers fans are Protestants, Celtic fans Catholics - and when those teams play each other, they have armed security guards and chain link fences topped with razor wire to keep the two sets of fans apart. The Tims and the Huns are maniacs. This post was edited by Slartibartfast at March 1, 2018 9:46 PM MST
      March 1, 2018 4:17 PM MST

"Friendship I seriously doubt." >>> well, more than friendship, according to the quote below. Nothing less than survival of Jewry itself. It's right there in the hard-hitting, short, three-word, opening sentence that doesn't mince its word.

"Islam saved Jewry. This is an unpopular, discomforting claim in the modern world. But it is a historical truth. The argument for it is double. First, in 570 CE, when the Prophet Mohammad was born, the Jews and Judaism were on the way to oblivion. And second, the coming of Islam saved them, providing a new context in which they not only survived, but flourished, laying foundations for subsequent Jewish cultural prosperity - also in Christendom - through the medieval period into the modern world."

So is that from some antisemitic source? Not unless the JC is antisemitic. Erm.. not Jesus Christ, even though he was a Jew. This JC stands for the Jewish Chronicle, of May 24, 2012 to be precise.

Can it happen now though? Is there a personal account of any Muslim saving a Jew? Watch the short video clip below of an actual incident in the words of the affected Jew himself. Even his own didn't come to his rescue. A bit like what happened to Jesus. At the most critical juncture in his life "they (the disciples) all forsook him and fled." (Mark 14:50).

This post was edited by CLURT at March 3, 2018 7:01 AM MST
      March 2, 2018 3:50 PM MST

Is the Israeli still friends with his Muslim rescuer? I've rescued strangers as a volunteer firefighter, I didn't usually make friends with them, indeed never even saw them again.
    Also the Arab/Israelite conflict goes deeper than religion,  it's an internecine fratricidal war that goes all the way back to Abraham. Children of Ishmael (Abraham's son by Hagar) vs children of Isaac (Abraham's son by Sarah). Islam isn't just Arabs anymore, it's the dominant religion in much of Asia (Afghanistan, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Malaysia, Indonesia) and among some African communities as well - but the Prophet (peace be upon him) was quite definitely of Ishmaelite descent. Not friendly with Jewish folks, although he did advocate mutual respect.
      March 2, 2018 4:36 PM MST

"I've rescued strangers as a volunteer firefighter" That's very public spirited and noble of you. "I didn't usually make friends with them," would also be said by volunteers in a soup kitchen and "indeed never even saw them again." might be said by those who go on volunteering spells away from home. Those are all different from the case of the Muslim guy in the video. He did not step in as part of any volunteering job he was on. What the Muslim guy did goes not only beyond call of duty but beyond some friendships. Friends might not [indeed in this case did not] do what the Muslim guy did.

I also agree that "the Arab/Israelite conflict goes deeper than religion" as do the Rabbis in the video below who take to the streets to openly testify, from personal experience of peaceful neighbourly coexistence and cooperation in Palestine itself, that it is not a religious conflict. 

Yes, writers of the Hebrew Bible [which the Christians refer to as the Old Testament] who were descendants of Isaac, Abraham's second son [by his first wife Sarah] wrote rather derogatively about Ishmael and his descendants. The Arabs are descendants of Ishmael, the first son of Abraham through his second wife Hagar. The term Jews refers either to the descendants of Jacob, son of Isaac, who settled in Judea or to the descendants of Judah, one of the twelve sons of Jacob. 

You're also right that since the adoption of Islam in many parts of the world Arabs have become a small minority within Islam. They make up only 15% of the world's Muslims.

Mohammed was invited to the city state of Yathrib to undertake an extremely difficult task of building peace between its different tribes which included Jews. To be successful he had not only to be fair to all citizens of the state but to be seen to be fair. He could not afford to be "Not friendly with Jewish folks" of the city. He needed everyone to cooperate in the defence of the city against wars waged on it by Mecca, the city state where he was born and where he spent over half a century of his life. He was naturally "Not friendly with Jewish folks" who treacherously sided with the Meccans. His success in bringing about prosperity and fame to the city state through uniting its ethnically and religiously diverse people led to the city being called Medina-to-nabi or "city of the Prophet" soon to be shortened to al-Medina or "The City" and later, and to this day, just Medinah or City. It's probably the only city known throughout the world more by the word City than by its name.

March 2, 2018 7:02 PM MST

By now, I will assume they have met.

But I wasn't there and don't know how well it went.
      March 1, 2018 4:14 PM MST

I think Cassius Clay will win hands down if they ever get together :)D
      March 1, 2018 4:56 PM MST

Of course.

Both respect God more than anything else.

March 1, 2018 5:45 PM MST

Q "If Jesus and Muhammad met, would they become buddies?"

Oh absolutely. How can there be any substantial doubt about that whatsoever?

1. First both Jesus and Mohammed are from the same part of the world, the Middle East. They are both Semitic people, speaking very similar languages, Aramaic and Arabic and they are both cousins sharing the same forefather, Abraham.

2. Jesus was sent by God and thus a genuine messenger of God, as was Mohammed. Their core message was the same. There is only one God. For their salvation all those who believe in God should do the will of God, meaning they should live by the laws of God and not their own whims and desires. Neither of them taught that babies are born in sin, nor that one person can carry the sins of another, nor that sin entered the world through one person and left through the death and resurrection of another, nor that God called for the sacrifice of a human for the forgiveness of sin. They both taught that God is most forgiving to anyone who repents with genuine sincerity.

3. Jesus would be awed at the importance given to him in the HQ, the scripture given to Mohammed, where Jesus is mentioned by name five times more frequently than Mohammed is, and almost always as "The Christ, Jesus, son of Mary". He is called "a word of God" and a "spirit from Him [God]" His miracles are mentioned in the HQ, even some which are not in the Bible. The entire HQ has only 114 chapters of varying sizes and one of the longer ones is called Mary in honour of the mother of Jesus. An honour not present in the Bible.

4. Jesus was a Jew. He was part of Jewry. After a crash course in English, he'd be delighted to read that "Islam saved Jewry. This is an unpopular, discomforting claim in the modern world. But it is a historical truth. The argument for it is double. First, in 570 CE, when the Prophet Mohammad was born, the Jews and Judaism were on the way to oblivion. And second, the coming of Islam saved them, providing a new context in which they not only survived, but flourished, laying foundations for subsequent Jewish cultural prosperity - also in Christendom - through the medieval period into the modern world." Now would he have unknowingly got that from some antisemitic source? Well no, not unless the JC is antisemitic. Erm.. no, not Jesus Christ, this JC stands for the Jewish Chronicle, of May 24, 2012 to be precise.

Jesus and Mohammed make natural buddies. Have you the courage to stand out and regard a Muslim as a buddy?

This post was edited by CLURT at March 3, 2018 8:19 AM MST
      March 2, 2018 4:31 PM MST

Yes...I am a Jew, and my colleague who taught in the classroom next to me, Mohammed, is a Muslim from Egypt. We were buddies.
      March 3, 2018 7:07 AM MST

Excellent. There should be no taboo about saying so. Don't let those who want to divide and control erect barriers between people.

I've added more commonality in a new #1 to my answer.
      March 3, 2018 8:29 AM MST

Both of us were appalled at what was going on in the Mideast.
      March 3, 2018 10:51 AM MST

TY Einsteinium. Many people with a sense of justice and feelings for fellow human beings are appalled, irrespective of religion or ethnicity.

Einstein is believed to have written in 1929 to Chaim Weizmann, "If we do not succeed in finding the path of honest cooperation and coming to terms with the Arabs, we will not have learned anything from our two thousand year old ordeal and will deserve the fate which will beset us." Nine years later he's reported to have said, "I should much rather see reasonable agreement with the Arabs on the basis of living together in peace than the creation of a Jewish state."

March 3, 2018 2:01 PM MST