Discussion » Questions » Death and Dying » If you were given a mistaken prognosis of only a year to live, and at the end of the year you're re-examined, told you're absolutely fine,

If you were given a mistaken prognosis of only a year to live, and at the end of the year you're re-examined, told you're absolutely fine,

would you be angry enough to sue for malpractice, or happy enough to be alive that you'd just let it go?
~

Posted - March 6, 2018

Responses

I would praise God for my healing.
      March 6, 2018 7:33 AM MST

Yes.
      March 6, 2018 7:36 AM MST

I'd be thankful -- to God, life, my body, everyone involved --  that I was now absolutely fine. I can't imagine I'd sue anybody.

Though, I admit, the previous year could have been stressful in ways I woudln't know since I've never been in that situation.
      March 6, 2018 7:39 AM MST

• "Happy" ... that I just spent the most eventful year of my life clearing my bucket list. :)
      March 6, 2018 8:43 AM MST

I don't take mistaken prognosis seriously but just in case the quack missed the real cause of my illness I would practice some self healing methods* that might enable a placebo effect to help make me well, and follow good diet and some exercise so I might not be surprised if after a year I get a clean bill of health. I wouldn't bother suing because my doctor has no money to sue for anyway 

*Japanese forest bathing has proven effective for me before. 
      March 6, 2018 9:29 AM MST

I'm not a doctor, but I diagnose you with Run-On Sentence Syndrome. Take two dictionaries and call me in the morning. 
    ~
      March 6, 2018 9:32 AM MST

If I were so diagnosed, I would get a second opinion.  I would most likely not sue he original doctor unless treatments for the incorrectly diagnosed illness cost me money.
      March 6, 2018 10:49 AM MST

If the diagnosis was wrong I would sue.  A year of unnecessary grief and treatment is much more than a wrong or a mistake.  The doctor in this case may possible need to be removed from the profession.  

If the diagnosis was correct but I miraculously was healed I would simply thank God and say goodbye to the doctory
      March 6, 2018 3:57 PM MST

Being told i only had a year to live probably would teach me many life lessons that i can later apply since i wouldn't be dying after all. I don't think i would sue, life is still too short.
      March 6, 2018 11:26 PM MST

No one has an expiration date.   So, if a certain time period elapses and the expected time of death does not occur, that does not mean it will not happen.   The prognosis may be correct, but the time factor was not estimated correctly. 

Also, no one just drops dead after 364 days of health.  There is a decline.  That would be apparent long before the end.

In the real world.

March 6, 2018 11:35 PM MST

Thank you, you are absolutely correct in that a decline takes place. In this scenario, a subsequent exam takes place after a year and it is then discovered that the original prognosis was incorrect. That does not preclude the probability that other appointments have taken place during the year, but it's also possible that none have.  
    ~
      March 7, 2018 5:15 AM MST