Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » GUARANTEED INCOME for every citizen? Whatca think and why?

GUARANTEED INCOME for every citizen? Whatca think and why?

Posted - March 17, 2018

Responses

I think that could work with all the money that is being hoarded by the few elite morons who don't need a dime more in their pockets.

There are not enough jobs to go around, so pay us to at least have some sanity in our lives and not want to rob someone else.

March 17, 2018 11:55 AM MDT

There is some discussion about it Sharon which is the first time I've heard of it. The theory is if you pay each person say $1000/month they will spend it and it would help grow the economy and keep them from from starving.. That it is economically sound...in some people's view. I just wondered what folks thought about it. I think there are some countries that kinda do it. They provide health and education for their citizens and also I think pay an amount when they kids. Thank yoo for  our thoughtful reply and Happy Sunday! :)
      March 18, 2018 1:38 AM MDT

Sounds like a Utopian idea.  After a few years of that, the United States would go bust. In fact, we ARE going bust with this outrageous national debt. 
      March 17, 2018 12:11 PM MDT

It was a discussion I heard on TV in passing bh. A serious discussion of the merits of such a plan. I did not investigate but what I heard was paying $1000/month to citizens who would then go out and spend thereby creating more jobs for more people. Thank you for your reply and Happy Sunday! :)
      March 18, 2018 1:40 AM MDT

Inflation. 
      March 17, 2018 2:47 PM MDT

Sigh.........

Only one good thing could possibly come from that. When society goes into total economic collapse, the left might see the light and abandon crazy ideas. Though I doubt it. Mass suffering usually makes the leftist more convinced of their ideas, not less.

This post was edited by Zeitgeist at March 18, 2018 8:52 AM MDT
      March 17, 2018 4:40 PM MDT

In one word – no.

Unearned money isn’t as valuable as money that had to be earned.  Which has more value to you – a $100 paycheck or finding a $100 bill on the street?  When people work, they’re actually exchanging a part of their life for money.  For example, if you earned $20/hr, then $20 of your paycheck would equal one hour of your life.  You gave up 1 hour of your life to do something you probably wouldn’t have done otherwise in exchange for that $20.  Think about it… an entire hour of your life exchanged for one measly $20 bill.  That $20 just got a lot more valuable, didn’t it?  People who understand this are usually more frugal with their money than those who don’t.  After all, you’ll never get that part of your life back again.  Money that’s found or merely handed out doesn’t have that value.  It’s more like a windfall.  Sure one may use it on necessities, but it’ll never seem as valuable as had it’d been earned.

Guaranteeing someone income just because they’re a citizen can also create lazy people.  Why work for money if someone’s simply going to hand it to you.  Some people who are on “government welfare” already have this attitude.  I mean, why bother trying to get a job that pays $100/wk when the government will give them the same amount for doing nothing?

What many fail to realize is that money doesn’t simply “appear out of nowhere”; it has to come from somewhere.  Who pays this “guaranteed income”?  The working people (taxes).  Now if everyone had guaranteed income why should anyone bother to work?  And if no one worked, where would that money for the guaranteed income come from?

March 17, 2018 4:54 PM MDT

It was a discussion I just caught the tail end of and did not investigate further Shuhak. The figure they spoke of was in fact $1000/month. They said folks would go out and spend which  would create more and tit was a very serious conversation. Don't some countries provide education and health care to their citizens as well as pay folks for having children? I think maybe in the Scandinavian countries? I'll Google it and see what more I can find. The questions you ask are valid of course. What was the point of the massive tax cuts for the obscenely wealthy? What's the difference in giving them billions of dollars they don't need and paying people who are in need? Thank you for your thoughtful reply and Happy Sunday. I just did some investigating and asked another question about UBI and provided some information on it. Scholarships and Research Grants are money given for performance meeting certain expectations. But how do you "EARN" it Shuhak? Isn't it free money given and not earned? I disagree with thee that you don't value something given to you. I think kids that get scholarships or grants that allow them to attend college appreciate it very much. There are all kinds of scholarships and grants available if you research them. Not for performance but for simply being part Native American or Eskimo or Armenian. How is that earned? It isn't. It is a circumstance of birth that someone somewhere wants to reward for whatever reason. Isn't it? This post was edited by RosieG at March 18, 2018 2:28 AM MDT
      March 18, 2018 1:45 AM MDT

I think it was up in Norway (or thereabouts) if I remember the discussion correctly.  I believe they nixed the idea as well.  I could be wrong.
    The US gives money to its citizens for having kids - it's called welfare.  My brother had and raised his family on welfare.  He never worked a day.  He just sat back, drank and "worked the system".

You're right, money for grants and  scholarships aren't earned (well, a few scholarships are as they're a reward for hard work).  Even I went to college on a small grant.  However, those are usually a one-time thing, not continuous.  I was going more along the lines of welfare - money given out continuously, but not earned (such as in my brother's case).  A scholarship is an incentive to better oneself.  A grant is usually something the grantor watches closely to make sure it's not being "misused" (some even have to be paid back).  I still think "free" money has a greater temptation to abuse than earned money does.
      March 18, 2018 9:58 AM MDT

I come from a long line of hard workers. The value of education and working for what you wanted to achieve was inculcated within me since I can remember. My dad always told me that I could do anything..achieve anything..be anything. As long as I was willing to work as hard as I could for it.  I believed him. He was right. However I have been very lucky. Why I don't know. Things have come very easily to me, jobs included. I'd be referred by someone to someone and land in a better situation. I never sought it. All I ever did was my best whatever I did, wherever I was. The joy was always in the doing and not in what it could bring. Which is why I say I was very lucky.My Jim often says "if he didn't have bad luck he'd have no luck" about some folks who always sseem to be behind the 8 ball.. Sadly true for many So just being aware of that I am always happy to reach out and give a helping hand to those who have not been so blessed. What could it hurt? Thank you for your reply Shuhak! :)
      March 18, 2018 10:43 AM MDT

The wet dream of perhaps the majority of liberals.  Who interpret "equality" as meaning everybody makes the same amount regardless.  But where is it coming from? How many people are going to have the incentive to do well for themselves if they know that most of it will be taken away to support people who can't even support themselves? 
      March 18, 2018 10:02 AM MDT

You are very insulting. Shame on you. WET DREAM? Were you raised by savages? Have you no decency? For shame. I shall never talk to you again. Good bye. Good luck. Whatever.
      March 18, 2018 10:44 AM MDT