Active Now

Danilo_G
DannyPetti
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Environment » Are you a gardener?

Are you a gardener?

I love gardening, but I'm not doing it yet. Maybe in the fall.

Posted - August 7, 2016

Responses

I am - I make a living taking care of gardens and I have the nicest garden on my block. Cheers!

August 7, 2016 10:18 AM MDT

• I am, yes. I enjoy gardening very much. My primary interest is California native plants. 

August 7, 2016 10:31 AM MDT

I love gardening.  LOVE it.  It is so soothing and peaceful and I love the fact that stuff GROWS out of the FREAKING ground.  Can you imagine that?  God is so cool with this idea.

But Arizona is a TRIAL.  I am not the gardener I was in Chicago or even Florida.  It is a real pain in the .... to have your stuff flourish, only to see it burn to death in front of your eyes because you didn't spend a fortune on water and fertilizer and shade in the summer months. 

I have a plot of land that has mostly stones, total sun and very little room for dirt. So everything is in pots that heat up like an oven in the summer.  I have to stick with certain flowers.

In the ground itself I have something like Impatience (sp?) and bouganavilla, and roses and cactus of course.  And a Fairy Duster tree that won't quit.  That is my favorite thing.  That tree.  We have all sorts of flora and fauna down here, but that is what works best for me.  I have a an orange tree too.  It does not produce many oranges.  And we have two grapefruit trees a few yards from my property. 

I don't grow those, but they are handy to have nearby.

August 7, 2016 10:36 AM MDT

Ya mean to tell me ya swipe the grapefruit? I'll bet it's too sour anyway.

August 7, 2016 11:26 AM MDT

No, but my husband is.

August 7, 2016 12:51 PM MDT

I love gardening! Trees, shrubs, and perennials. I give educational tours at a local aboreteum. I am also a private gardener for a rich lady. Dream job!
      August 26, 2016 7:07 AM MDT

• right? The only things you need are long pants and a work glove. They take care of themselves and they grow whether you want them or not. lol

September 2, 2016 12:49 AM MDT
  • D&D

Everything that grows from my hands die. You could say that I'm a terrible gardener.

September 2, 2016 1:36 AM MDT

We have a small garden but it is doing pitifully as we have had quit the drought this summer.

August 7, 2016 5:26 AM MDT

• Yes...Tomatoes and herbs.  I also cultivate wild black berries and sell them to farm stands and local establishments.  

I'm getting ready for harvesting my blackberries soon. They're just about ripe

August 7, 2016 5:31 AM MDT

@Goatjumper. How exciting! Enjoy your fresh food! Yum! :-)
      August 7, 2016 5:39 AM MDT

@Element, summer has been so hot! Too hot to get out there. I hope you get tai soon. I'll do a rain dance for you.
      August 7, 2016 5:40 AM MDT

It must be nice to be able to grow in a more temperate climate. Up here in the north, we are subject to frost and snow. Kills most plants overnight. Plant in May, harvest in September. That's what we do. Usually, there is enough rainfall. The soil is fairly rich and productive. I have a cute little garden, about 100 x 30', mostly planted with tomatoes. Big, rich, juicy, ripe tomatoes that taste so good. You can't buy flavor like this at a store. I also have some flowers, but mostly vegetables. If you grow vegetables, you will need a 'roto-tiller' to plow up the soil properly. I use mine to 'weed' the long rows. You can get one at your nearby home store such as Home Depot. I recommend a Cub Cadet.

August 7, 2016 5:57 AM MDT

I love being in the garden, but I'm not that great at it. I wish I were better. 

August 7, 2016 6:27 AM MDT

With a purple thumb? Haha
      August 7, 2016 8:24 AM MDT

• Oh yes. I have a new crop of failures about to sprout just in time for the Fall Harvest.

August 7, 2016 8:44 AM MDT