Active Now

Malizz
DannyPetti
Danilo_G
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Science and Technology » Is the expansion of the universe into all areas the force or pressure we perceive as gravity?

Is the expansion of the universe into all areas the force or pressure we perceive as gravity?

The universe is not made up of mostly space but is itself a fabric moving and stretching to fill voids where it is not. Is gravity pressure from the universe trying to fill sub atomic space?

Posted - March 26, 2018

Responses

Nah, It sounds like you are trying to rationalize it with human thinking, and that do not work well. There are many such human theories, all essentially guesswork. One of the more interesting ones I have heard, is that space is not really expanding, instead matter is shrinking so over time the same amount of space can contain more and more matter. It retains the definition a space as 'somewhere where matter can be' and at the same time neatly sidesteps the problem of an expanding universe "What happens at the edge of the universe where space and matter should move at more than light speed to 'fill it' as the outer edge draws away?".
    ref: https://www.universetoday.com/118614/is-everything-actually-shrinking/ This post was edited by JakobA the unAmerican. at March 27, 2018 7:37 AM MDT
      March 27, 2018 12:34 AM MDT

Let's think this thing through:
    Expanding universe is implied by
    Receding galaxies, which are implied by
    Doppler shift, which is caused by
    Motion away from us, which is assumed from
    Red shifted light

So we have this remarkable train of logic all based on a single phenomenon and an assumption. If that assumption is wrong then most of what we think we know about the universe ain't so. Well, Doppler effect is not the only cause of red shift. Every hospital uses a magnet to produce a red shift. It's called MRI. But astronomers deny magnetic fields in space. So there you are: guesses offered in lieu of actual science.
      March 27, 2018 7:01 AM MDT

If I can't see it or feel it...it ain't there. Show me the fabric.
      March 27, 2018 7:41 AM MDT

Yeah, that's it! There ain't no gravity, the universe sux!
      March 27, 2018 2:35 PM MDT