Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » Does that strange family member get upset when you come up with theories about why they have the obsessions they do?

Does that strange family member get upset when you come up with theories about why they have the obsessions they do?

For some reason they don't like hearing they're the way they are because something probably happened to them in a past life to make them that way.

Posted - March 29, 2018

Responses

Unflattering propositions and assumptions would have anyone upset. Did you tell everyone he/she might have been molested by an uncle or aunt? This post was edited by O-uknow at March 29, 2018 6:53 AM MDT
      March 29, 2018 6:51 AM MDT

No, never told anyone that.  I never suspected that in my own family.
      March 29, 2018 8:37 AM MDT

I don't theorize about family members to their faces unless they ask me to. 
      March 29, 2018 6:56 AM MDT

How sweet of you to be concerned. And how about yourself? Did you also have to be hit in the head to make you believe that nonsense you base your life on?

Everybody works for a living and struggles with conflicting needs. Everybody considers the available facts according to their limited education and makes a decision based on what they think is best for their current situations. You don't make any progress by insulting everybody just because it's not the same decision you would make.
      March 29, 2018 7:37 AM MDT

I'm 100% positive I have family members who wonder if I've been hit in the head to make me believe the things I base my life on.  That's the fun part of having family.  They share your DNA but they're so different they're almost alien sometimes so their point of view is one of the great mysteries of life and at the same I'm one of the great mysteries of life to them.

It's kind of like Democrats and Republicans trying to explain how the other side thinks to their own side.  Their explanations never make sense to the other side.

Anyway, the inspiration for this question was another family member who believes in reincarnation which he believes is an explanation for other people's behavior as well as his own behavior but that explanation makes no sense to the other family member who's a Christian and doesn't believe in reincarnation so no matter how hard they try they just don't get each other.
      March 29, 2018 8:36 AM MDT

I respect your honesty. I believe you are sincere.
      March 29, 2018 9:02 PM MDT

If you don't believe a concept then by definition it does not make sense. 
      March 31, 2018 2:09 AM MDT

Sounds like you might be the strange family member.
      March 29, 2018 6:10 PM MDT

This question was obviously a dud which is what happens when you try to think of five questions in rapid succession but deleting duds to which people have already replied is probably frowned on.  

The inspiration for this question was watching other family members interact with each other who just don't get each other and probably never will which is something I'm fascinated by watching so yeah, if watching and observing family dynamics is strange then I'm guilty as charged but then again there are other people in my own family who would find me strange anyway regardless of that.
      March 29, 2018 8:23 PM MDT

Your question calls up the revulsion I felt when my wife did that. She announced one day that she had figured out that I must have been raised in poverty and that was why I wanted to have food in the house to last beyond the next payday.

I'm not married any more.
      March 30, 2018 9:59 AM MDT