Active Now

WelbyQuentin
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Jobs » In the ancient days of the dark ages how did they find the people willing to torture (sometimes falsely) convicted criminals?

In the ancient days of the dark ages how did they find the people willing to torture (sometimes falsely) convicted criminals?

Posted - March 30, 2018

Responses

Oh yes.  They had SUCH a hard time getting human beings to commit mayhem.

March 30, 2018 8:07 AM MDT

The same way they: filled up an a coliseum with thousands to watch people being torn limb from limb by wild beasts, watch 1000's upon 1000's of innocent animals slaughtered just for entertainment, burning someone alive at the stake or nail someone to a cross with a crowd standing by to watch the person slowly die a horrible death.  It seems every age has their own personal horrors that humans do to other humans.  
    This post was edited by Sunshine at March 30, 2018 9:00 AM MDT
      March 30, 2018 8:47 AM MDT

Yes like when I was in high school one of the kids put a tack on the teacher's chair and when he sat down everybody laughed. Entertaining to watch someone suffer.
      March 30, 2018 9:26 AM MDT

Makes me wonder what I would be like if I was alive in those times. Would I be as sensitive to the suffering of others as I am now or would I have been desensitized like those people seem to have been?
      March 30, 2018 1:35 PM MDT

In this era being "punked" is thought of as funny in many peoples minds.  I can't tell you how much I loathe those kinds of programs.  Anything that causes physical and emotional distress or pain is NOT funny.  Actors who "pretend" to be abusing one another just to see who will step in and defend of of them?  Really?  These are tear down kind of programs, horrible example for society. 

March 30, 2018 3:18 PM MDT

Psychopaths were more tolerated back then I suppose.
      March 30, 2018 1:32 PM MDT

I suspect it's partly to do with the fact they were more barbaric times, people saw and experienced so much more suffering, people dying young, most children dying before they reached adulthood, starvation, poverty, harsh treatment of the poor, cruelty and indifference by the rich... and I don't think people had the choice.. if your job, your only way to make a living was to torture others, well it would probably be a case of rather them than me... kill or be killed, beat or be beaten. 
      March 30, 2018 2:43 PM MDT

This is why "with intelligence and power come responsibility."  However many people are NOT responsible, they are just out for a quick dollar.  Violent video games are evidence of that.  These games should not be in the hands of children or even adults for that matter.  It's all for the shock value or people would be designing fun games that build up instead of tear down.  And people wonder why there is so much violence among the kids today?  I remember 40 years ago when violent cartoons were just emerging.  Mothers took to the streets protesting with signs.  Protesting that the children would become just what they have: Insensitive and violent. (the Mothers were laughed and pressured eventually into silence). 
      March 30, 2018 3:27 PM MDT