Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Babies and Kids » Now they are brainwashing kids to be anti-bullying and BE AN UPSTANDER. Does this open up any cans of worms in your mind?

Now they are brainwashing kids to be anti-bullying and BE AN UPSTANDER. Does this open up any cans of worms in your mind?

I think the UPSTANDERS can get bullied.

I think the UPSTANDERS can turn into tattle-tales

I think the UPSTANDERS can easily become right-wingers and try and prove their "GOODNESS" by showing everyone else's badness

Or they can actually be GOOD KIDS. 

What say you?

Posted - August 7, 2016

Responses

I've noticed this as well. There has been an upward trend in anti bullying campaigns, but unfortunately, I think they are all in vain.

Bullying has been around since the dawn of humanity and unfortunately, it will be around with the last of us. It seems to be human nature to pick on the vulnerable.

EDIT: As far as "upstanders" go, I don't know how you can equate one with a political party, but I agree that they can become narcs, get bullied, or develop a "holier than thou" sense of entitlement.

August 7, 2016 12:16 PM MDT

This is not a new can of worms.

The moral bases of using socially-approved violence to counteract the effects of unapproved violence have been debated probably since man first formed tribal groups. The question of "Who watches the watchers?" is eternal.

I don't know enough about the program you speak of to comment knowledgeably about it. But I was the victim of bullying when I was young, and there were times when a tattle-tale was the best thing for the situation.

As for the related question of exactly what we SHOULD be "indoctrinating" our children with, that's a big and contentious barrel of monkeys.

August 7, 2016 12:32 PM MDT

OK

I totally agree and do not think bullying is EVER warranted. I just think this is an INDOCTRINATION that may get out of hand.  If we are now getting a handle on those who bully, by elevating the consciousness of kids, that is AMAZING.

If we are just giving them ROTE instructions, that is TYPICAL of the fast-fix of America.  I want to end any thought of wanting to bully.  But it starts at the beginning.  They first have to want it to be horrible and know why it is.  That takes time and consideration. IT starts in the home.  And what chance do kids have with unconscious idiots who are responsible for their mental as well as physical welfare? 

Parents of today do not know how to show by example as a rule.  They don't even know how to train a dog properly.  What choice do kids have when they do not have the proper guides?

That is the worst-case scenario.  The best?  We finally let kids be their sweet selves and do the right thing because they have been taught that kindness matters.   Above anything. 

Children are naturally kind when they are allowed to grow and flourish in loving conditions.

August 7, 2016 12:38 PM MDT

And, Paynuts, that is what I fear is happening.  Just to go around and chant UPSTANDERS is not going to cut the mustard. 

Thank you for this great comment. 

August 7, 2016 12:42 PM MDT

That is the worst-case scenario.  The best?  We finally let kids be their sweet selves and do the right thing because they have been taught that kindness matters.   Above anything. 

See, this is where you nail it. The problem is, a lot of parents are bullies. A lot of parents treat their kids like extensions of them or belongings. A lot of parents are absent. Parent A has a bad day, gets yelled at by the boss or whatever, comes home and rips into the kid for no reason. The kid rips into someone else because he thinks it's normal, has no outlet, etc. I remember having a chat with my son's principal when my son was 7 or so. Some kid was beating up on him, stabbing him with pencils, sticking spit balls in my son's ear. The principal said "His mom is a single mom and she's doing the best she can. She was in here the other day and was in tears. If you saw how much this affected her, and what it would mean if I suspended the boy, you would understand."

Ah, no. My son was being tormented on a daily basis. I had medical bills to pay as a result of the bullying. After about 3-4 months of this, my son finally hauls out and decks the other kid. Guess who got suspended? The bully never faced consequences and because nobody saw the other kid do anything to my son right before my son hit him, he was in the clear. In fact, the principal and the secretary both remarked about how shocked they were at my son's behavior. My response: "I've been in here twice a week for months, trying to get you to deal with the bully. What's shocking is that my son held back this long. I'll take his disenrollment papers now, thanks."

The thing is, I have raised my kids to be tolerant. I teach them why the bully bullies. My daughter came home in tears because some kid on the bus called her fat. I showed her a picture or Adele... she loves Adele, and I said, "What do you think about the way she looks?" My daughter said, "She's beautiful." I tell her that some people pick on Adele and call her fat. My daughter was mortified. But, no matter how many times I teach my kids that bullies are idiots, their words still sting. They still cause physical injury. And yes, I also teach my kids to stand up for others. Why? Because nobody else is going to, and as long as we have parents who are bullies, themselves, or who are absent, the problem isn't going to go  away.

August 7, 2016 1:23 PM MDT

I love this answer.  THANK YOU.  It is answered by someone who walks the walk and talks the talk.

THANK YOU

August 7, 2016 1:25 PM MDT

August 7, 2016 2:15 PM MDT

Stay on my lawn anytime.

The BOTH of ya.

August 7, 2016 2:38 PM MDT

I taught my kid to be 'anti-bullying' by putting him in martial arts. I did it because he's a good kid, the kind that will stick up for others, but rarely for himself. Hopefully he'll never have a need for it. I did make a point of finding a school with a focus on self-discipline and awareness rather than sport. For me that was a must, but every parent is different. Just my approach.

August 7, 2016 2:47 PM MDT

Re: "...indoctrination may get out of hand..."

I should note that my answer was partially informed by knowledge of the existence of things like Jesus Camp...

If we're going to worry about kids being indoctrinated in negative ways, let's start there and work our way down the list to Upstanders.

August 7, 2016 2:51 PM MDT

Old, that is what I was initially thinking.  I agreed with your indoctrination word.  But I do think kids love to be taught structure and beauty and goodness.  They are dying for the sacred.  THIS is NOT the way to go.  That movie?  Did you see it?  It was pretty good.

Just Asking is my hero as far as being a wonderful mom is concerned.   But there are plenty of non-wonderful parents that just use their kids to get their own agenda across.   Teaching kids about THIS idea of JESUS is akin to abuse to me.

But teaching your children values and being a role model is a gift to both the parents and the children.  They keep each other in tow, so to speak.  If only the parents realized what a gift having a child to pattern yourself after; instead of the other way around.   Instead of expecting your kids to be robots for your agenda?  That would change the complexion of the country as it now pathetically appears.  

August 7, 2016 2:56 PM MDT

Well said. Ugh, I've seen that---parents who treat their kids as mini-thems. lol

I highly suggest martial arts! I know it's none of my business, but having a son who experienced a very similar situation and seeing the confidence it has given him, I can't tell you how thankful I am for it. And the sad fact is, the mismanagement, irresponsibility is what it really is, you've experienced with that administrator will likely be a recurring theme.

Hope things turn around for him this school year :)

August 7, 2016 2:57 PM MDT

I dislike such campaigns, they are a form of indoctrination, and this is leaving to the schools to teach what should begin at home.  The problem with schools teaching what is properly under the parent's purview, is that it is ripe for abuse.  This sounds much like the government's "See something, say something" campaign.  The problem is that there are those that report anything and everything.  People who have done nothing wrong are reported, people sometimes report others not because they did anything wrong, but because someone is being vindictive.  Minor problems become major issues and may well involve not only the school administration, but also the authorities.

I see a huge difference between a campaign such as this, well-meaning though it may be, and kids learning to be "upstanding" by watching the example set by their parents and other adults.  Kids don't learn something like being upstanding because they are told to do so, but because they they witness and experience it in action.  

August 7, 2016 3:19 PM MDT

I tried to teach my son to stand up for people being picked on. I also tried to teach him not to be mean to the mean kid because noone knows the hell that may wait at home. I dont know if any of it took but i hope he'll carry it to adulthood. I never told him to tell because school officials are usually indifferent or inappropriate, in my veiw, with solutions.
      August 7, 2016 3:25 PM MDT

"...school officials are usually indifferent or inappropriate, in my veiw, with solutions."

Very true.

August 7, 2016 3:27 PM MDT

August 7, 2016 3:41 PM MDT

Hey FORK!

The only thing that I really  admire about Chuck Norris?  He started programs for martial arts for kids.  It is the EXACT opposite of using a gun as a weapon.

To defend yourself takes thought and skill and you know by the instructor why things are used as weapons and why you should ALWAYS use non-resistance to an obstacle versus instant BLOWING THEM ON THEIR ASSES WITH  A BULLET instant gratification.

I applaud your supporing this skill and it does give confidence and a lot more.  Thank you for this answer.

August 7, 2016 3:45 PM MDT

Thank you. My oldest son (the one I referenced here) is 18 now. He took a few years of Karate when he was younger. :)

August 7, 2016 3:50 PM MDT

Really?!? Okay, now I am being purely nosy, but if you don't mind telling me... did he stick with it? Did it serve him well?

August 7, 2016 4:31 PM MDT

I think it is wonderful that they are telling kids to stand up for each other.
    So much better than the junk they tried to tell my kids in elementary school. That they were not supposed to fight or hit. And they were not supposed to tell the teaches. I told my kids that if someone was being mean, they were to tell the teacher and if the teacher didn't fix the problem. And the kid did it again to smack the bully in the head. And if it was an issue Mom and Dad would talk to the teachers/principal. Never went that far, but I have emailed teachers about issues and they handled things appropriately.

I hate the you cannot tell rule...that is how kids get abused.
      August 7, 2016 5:19 PM MDT

Yep. And they used to tell the kids they were not supposed to tell.
    Sounds like you handled it well JA.
      August 7, 2016 5:41 PM MDT

It's the same old can of worms it has always been. Schools have been indoctrination camps almost since day one, one of the several reasons we decided to educate our children outside of that environment.

August 7, 2016 7:06 PM MDT

August 7, 2016 7:24 PM MDT