Active Now

Element 99
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Television and Movies » Did those talking, apple-throwing trees in 1939's "The Wizard of OZ" creep you out?

Did those talking, apple-throwing trees in 1939's "The Wizard of OZ" creep you out?

Granted, Margaret Hamilton as 'Elmira Gulch/The Wicked Witch of the West' TERRIFIED me!
Still does.
As did/does the terrific tornado scene (everything BEFORE Dorothy is looking out the bedroom window at all the people flying by, then it's just goofy).

:)

Image result for apple trees wizard of OZ

Posted - April 3, 2018

Responses

What dud creep me out was finding out what they did to the actors.
    Judy Garland was starved and encouraged to chain smoke in order to remain small enough to fit the costume. And do you recall the snowstorm Glinda the Good sent to wake the travellers in the Wicked Witch's poppy field? They used WHITE CHRYSOLITE ASBESTOS to achieve that effect. Every take could well have caused mesothelioma.
      April 3, 2018 7:04 PM MDT

OMG!! You're right! I completely forgot about that  and I had known about the asbestos at one point --  maybe from you.
    Yeah, that's messed up. Worse than fake apple trees.

Geez - -  didn't know about Garland, though. Though I did know she was much older than the actual 'Dorothy' she was portraying.

Thanks for your input, Slartibartfast!
    :)
      April 3, 2018 7:08 PM MDT