Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » answerMug » Can I use the like and thank you pic things from my phone?

Can I use the like and thank you pic things from my phone?

I click them but they don't work

Posted - June 27, 2016

Responses

No they do not work from your cell phone.
      June 27, 2016 2:26 AM MDT

I almost feel like I should write a blog about this just to explain the backstory because questions like this get asked a lot. 

answerMug was once a super tiny, itty bitty website. Many people think it still is, and I suppose they're right by Experience Project standards, but AM had like 5 active members. Unlike some sites that were started up expecting to be big and profitable, AM was just a small group of people having fun. The underlying code of the site wasn't really an issue and we all used desktops. The site still works on phones and tablets, but it's missing some features intentionally- in order to get it to be quick and easy to use. One of those features is the ability to add images and HTML code.

So, this very small group of people wanted a simple way to "like" posts, but not having a budget, a site that could be edited, or a developer, I integrated "stamps" that work with HTML code. People on laptops and PCs are literally just embedding images in their posts when they click one, but you, being on a mobile device, cannot embed... and so it does nothing. It's an unintended cruel trick. I know. To taunt you with a button that does absolutely nothing. On most sites, you'd be able to hide those buttons for mobile users, but the platform AM is built on is dumb, and so mobile users get buttons that do nothing.

On the bright side, we are revamping the Mug and the updated version has real like buttons that actually track likes and let you like stuff on a mobile device. You can even embed photos on it. The bad news, we're probably still a month away from unleashing it.

Ah, so to answer your question, no. You cannot use the "like" stamp on your phone. Sorry. You can write *like* and it has the same sentiment. :)

June 27, 2016 2:39 AM MDT

lol We were too lazy to type it, too. That's why there's semi-functional "buttons." lol 

And once you figure it all out, I'll muck it all up for you and move things around. ;)

Glad you're liking the vibe here. 

(Yes, I was rubbing it in that I have buttons there.)

June 27, 2016 2:55 AM MDT

Meanie.
    ~
      June 27, 2016 3:04 AM MDT

;)

June 27, 2016 3:12 AM MDT

I use Firefox on my phone and I always request the desktop site. Once it changes to the desktop version, I refresh and can use the like and thank you buttons... As well as posting pictures ^_^
      June 27, 2016 5:30 AM MDT

@ JA - I can use the like and thank you buttons from my laptop, but not from my PC at work. In fact, when on my laptop, my replies are right under the comment to which I'm replying. On my PC, who knows where the reply ends up.
      June 27, 2016 7:39 AM MDT

lol

June 27, 2016 2:26 PM MDT

Ooh. Cool. That's good to know. What kind of phone do you have? Maybe others who are frustrated can copy you. I'm sure the Firefox app has different functions for different operating systems.

June 27, 2016 2:27 PM MDT

That's odd. I don't know how tech savvy you are, but the base code for a site typically remains the same- it's the browsers that read it differently and make it function/ look differently. Internet Explorer is notorious in that department- developers have to rewrite lines of code specific to IE to make a site function the same for someone using the browser. 

I can't say whether it's your browser that's making things difficult or if it has to do with plug-ins and extensions- those'll mess up a site, too. Once you get away from basic factory settings on a browser, there's no telling what you'll wind up with. I'm not going to say AM is a perfect site- it's not... that's why I'm reworking it, but there are so many things that can influence your experience that there's really no way for me to tell why you might be having issues.

June 27, 2016 2:31 PM MDT

• I would rather have a "dislike" button.

June 27, 2016 2:32 PM MDT

Here ya go.

June 27, 2016 2:33 PM MDT

• Where did you get that? I think I made one like that a while ago!

June 27, 2016 2:35 PM MDT

@JA - The strange thing is that I use IE on both my laptop and my office PC, so I'm at a loss here.
      June 27, 2016 2:45 PM MDT

OMG You did.

http://answermug.com/forum/topics/does-anyone-else-from-answer-bag-miss-the-likes-selection-that-we?commentId=6445461%3AComment%3A454459

It's exactly the same. I made mine first, though. It's been floating around the site since the like buttons were added. That's really, really weird. 

June 27, 2016 2:49 PM MDT

It probably has to do with the version, extensions, or plugins.

June 27, 2016 2:50 PM MDT

I have a Samsung s6 and it also works on my Samsung Note 10.1 tablet.
      June 27, 2016 3:02 PM MDT

Neato. 

June 27, 2016 3:47 PM MDT

You can take the image URL and wrap in an HTML "img" tag. That's worked for me in the past.

June 27, 2016 3:55 PM MDT

Well, you got your answer then,  I think. 

June 27, 2016 4:22 PM MDT

• HA HA! Well yours is better.

June 27, 2016 5:22 PM MDT

@JA - probably because I have Windows 10 at home and we're still on Windows 7 at work, but it used to work at the office and then all of a sudden, it didn't. :)

June 27, 2016 5:23 PM MDT