Active Now

Danilo_G
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » Do you think that the time when you were growing up, was the best time to grow up?

Do you think that the time when you were growing up, was the best time to grow up?

Or do we all have rose coloured glasses when it comes to our own era of growing up? 

I was born in 1964. I thought it was the best time... once I was old enough to know what was going on in the world around me I could see there was a vibe of freedom and endless possibilities, everything seemed freer, more easy going, free love and all that. Then in the 70's we had follow on from that, we were taught we could be anything we wanted to be.. and it really was a time like that, you didn't need endless qualifications just to clean toilets, all you needed was genuine enthusiasm... It was a time when, imo, class mattered less, working class kids were taught they can access all the opportunities that had been previously closed to them, or it was beginning to be that way... 

Teachers had respect for the kids.. we were treated respectfully, consulted, our opinions mattered..  This was a new thing as before that kids were to be seen and not heard. IN turn we had respect for teachers, felt they were more equals but to be admired, respected and they were inspirational, encouraging us...

We weren't taught grammar, creativity and content were valued more. Personally, I loved that... grammar came as a consequence of a love of reading, writing and literature. 

We played outside, our parents trusted us, respected us even, we had a lot of personal freedom and we were somehow much more street savvy than kids now.

The music scene was awesome! We had heavy metal, we had pop, we had punk, we had two-tone and we had new romantics and new mods.  Endless variety and back when the voice and talent mattered more than how pretty or handsome you were.. 

So yea I have big rosy glasses on here ...  I wonder if others feel their time was the best and why? 

Posted - April 13, 2018

Responses

Each decade of my life was unique and held promise. I didn't consider the time I grew up as the best time. I do know I wouldn't want to be a child now.
      April 13, 2018 1:00 PM MDT

I dont know about that, I do know the skies were blue back then. Im glad I got to see the true color of our sky before the chem-trails.
      April 13, 2018 1:01 PM MDT

• "Probably not" ... but I'm glad I didn't wait any longer!!
      April 13, 2018 4:56 PM MDT

Nearly everyone thinks that when they were growing up was the best time to grow up... and that's because it was.  At the time we didn’t think it was the “best time to grow up” as we had nothing to compare it to.  It just was the time.  As we grow older we tend to compare ‘now’ to ‘then’ and ‘then’ seems oh so rosy compared to ‘now’.  Yet in 30 years or so, the kids who are growing up now will look back and think that this was the best time to grow up in.  It's simply perspective. 

Today will the ‘good ol’ days’ you’ll be sighing for tomorrow.

April 13, 2018 5:29 PM MDT

• Are you Okie from Muskogie? I am. Was born in 1949, all of 68 years ago. 

Okie from Muskogee
    We don't smoke marijuana in Muskogee
    We don't take our trips on LSD
    We don't burn our draft cards down on Main Street
    We like livin' right, and bein' free
    We don't make a party out of lovin'
    We like holdin' hands and pitchin' woo
    We don't let our hair grow long and shaggy
    Like the hippies out in San Francisco do
    I'm proud to be an Okie from Muskogee,
    A place where even squares can have a ball
    We still wave Old Glory down at the courthouse,
    And white lightnin's still the biggest thrill of all
    Leather boots are still in style for manly footwear
    Beads and Roman sandals won't be seen
    Football's still the roughest thing on campus
    And the kids here still respect the college dean
    WAnd I'm proud to be an Okie from Muskogee
    A place where even squares can have a ball.
    We still wave Old Glory down at the courthouse
    In Muskogee, Oklahoma, USA.
    Songwriters: Merle Haggard / Roy Burris / Roy Edward Burris
    Okie from Muskogee lyrics © Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at April 14, 2018 10:19 AM MDT
      April 13, 2018 6:55 PM MDT

• A youngster asked his father : How did you people live before with:
    No access to technology
    No aeroplanes
    No internet
    No computers
    No dramas
    No TVs
    No air cons
    No cars
    No mobile phones?

Dad replied :
    "Just like how your generation live today":

No prayers
    No compassion
    No honor
    No respect
    No character
    No shame
    No modesty
    No time planning
    No sports
    No reading

We, the people that were born between 1950-1980 are the blessed ones. Our life is a living proof:
    ???? While playing and riding bicycles, we never wore helmets.
    ???? After school, we played until dusk. We never watched TV.
    ???? We played with real friends , not internet friends.
    ???? If we ever felt thirsty, we drank tap water not bottled water.
    ???? We never got ill although we used to share the same glass of juice with four friends.
    ???? We never gained weight although we used to eat a lot of rice everyday.
    ???? Nothing happened to our feet despite roaming bare-feet.
    ???? our mother and father never used any supplements to keep us healthy.
    ???? We used to create our own toys and play with them.
    ???? Our parents were not rich. They gave us love, not worldly materials.
    ???? We never had cellphones, DVDs, play station, XBox, video games, personal computers, internet chat - but we had real friends.
    ???? We visited our friend's home uninvited and enjoyed food with them.
    ???? unlike your world we had Relatives who lived close by so family time and ties were enjoyed together.
    ???? We may have been in black and white photos but you can find colourful memories in those photos.
    ???? We are a unique and the most understanding generation, because *we are the last generation who listened to their parents*. *Also , the first who have had to listen to their children.* and we are the ones who are still smarter and helping you how to use the technology that never exist while we were your age!!!

We are a LIMITED edition! So you better:
    Enjoy us.
    Learn from us.
    Treasure us.
    Before we disappear from Earth and your lives...
      April 14, 2018 9:10 AM MDT