Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Communication » What are some situations in which people make snap decisions not to reveal their real names to other people? ~

What are some situations in which people make snap decisions not to reveal their real names to other people? ~

Posted - April 17, 2018

Responses

No idea, I am always honest and open.
      April 17, 2018 1:25 PM MDT

What's your real name, and were you honest and open about it when you posted a screen name here?

To be fair, I'm not referring specifically to one being dishonest. There are a variety of situations in which your real name isn't anyone's business, or in which you decline to give it for reasons of your own safety.
    ~
      April 18, 2018 3:17 AM MDT

bars
    parties you're crashing
    websites that have no need to know who you are
    cashier who asks for a last name and phone #
    restaurant for delivery or pick up or reservation/waiting for a table

April 17, 2018 6:24 PM MDT

If you have a sense that a customer is wanting to report you...

*hides name badge*
      April 18, 2018 4:54 PM MDT

Only once as I recall.

Two door-to-door evangelists had achieved nowt in trying to persuade to join their outfit. One of them did all the script-parroting while his mate stood back, just listening.

After I'd told them politely but firmly what I thought of organisations like theirs, I finished with, "If I decide to become religious, I'm from an Anglican background and there's a perfectly good Anglican church just over there", pointing across the road, "I wouldn't join a cult like yours anyway". I'd already established they didn't like that "C-"word.

At that point the Silent Witness asked, completely out of the blue, "May we have your name please?"

I was startled by this request, but luckily thought unusually rapidly, certainly enough to avoid the trap. I realised there was no point asking why he wanted to know, but assumed it was so I could be bombarded with their "marketing" crap. I replied simply,

"You don't need to know my name. Goodbye!"

They left.
      April 27, 2018 8:54 PM MDT