Active Now

Randy D
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Is Jesus being good to Joel Osteen, tv evangelist?

Is Jesus being good to Joel Osteen, tv evangelist?

He is estimated to be worth $56 million and own a house worth over $10 million.

Posted - August 8, 2016

Responses

He does have a sweet face.  I don't listen.  

August 8, 2016 1:55 PM MDT

Sounds blessed to me. Good for him. I am next.
      August 8, 2016 2:13 PM MDT

Hi Marg, people like him are not favored, in fact they have a place just for them in hell.

August 8, 2016 4:41 PM MDT

How many people have you lead to the Lord? As log as someone's riches are not ill-gotten they have nothing to worry about hell for.
      August 8, 2016 5:07 PM MDT

He tickles peoples ears in telling them what they want to hear such as the prosperity gospel appealing to their love of money as well as his.

(1 Timothy 6:5-10) constant disputes about minor matters by men who are corrupted in mind and deprived of the truth, thinking that godly devotion is a means of gain. 6 To be sure, there is great gain in godly devotion along with contentment. 7 For we have brought nothing into the world, and neither can we carry anything out. 8 So, having food and clothing, we will be content with these things. 9 But those who are determined to be rich fall into temptation and a snare and many senseless and harmful desires that plunge men into destruction and ruin. 10 For the love of money is a root of all sorts of injurious things, and by reaching out for this love some have been led astray from the faith and have stabbed themselves all over with many pains.
    (Hebrews 13:5) Let your way of life be free of the love of money, while you are content with the present things. For he has said: “I will never leave you, and I will never abandon you.”

(2 Timothy 4:2-4) Preach the word; be at it urgently in favorable times and difficult times; reprove, reprimand, exhort, with all patience and art of teaching. 3 For there will be a period of time when they will not put up with the wholesome teaching, but according to their own desires, they will surround themselves with teachers to have their ears tickled. 4 They will turn away from listening to the truth and give attention to false stories.

He has received riches by making people think that they will get rich if they give him money.

(2 Corinthians 9:7) Let each one do just as he has resolved in his heart, not grudgingly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.

https://www.joelosteen.com/Pages/Blog.aspx?blogid=8875

The apostles were not peddlers of the word like many are. Paul himself was a tent maker. 

At times hungry, homeless, and lacking clothing, the apostles toiled, ‘working with their own hands, night and day, so as not to be a burden on others.’ (1Co 4:11, 12; 1Th 2:9) The standard among Christians was: “If anyone does not want to work, neither let him eat.”—2Th 3:10-12.

From a question about a preacher that had a fleet of planes:

http://answermug.com/forum/topics/do-you-think-a-preacher-with-a-fl...

You received free, give free. said Jesus at Mt 10:8.

2 Corinthians 2:17 We are, for we are not peddlers of* the word of God+ as many men are, but we speak in all sincerity as sent from God, yes, in the sight of God and in company with Christ.

2 Peter 2:1-3  However, there also came to be false prophets among the people, as there will also be false teachers among you.+ These will quietly bring in destructive sects, and they will even disown the owner who bought them,+bringing speedy destruction upon themselves. Furthermore, many will follow their brazen conduct,*+ and because of them the way of the truth will be spoken of abusively.+ Also, they will greedily exploit you with counterfeit words. But their judgment, decided long ago,+ is not moving slowly, and their destruction is not sleeping.+

1 Thessalonians 2:9 Surely you remember, brothers, our labor and toil. We were working night and day, so that we would not put an expensive burden on any one of you,+ when we preached the good news of God to you.

2 Thessalonians 3:7-12 For you yourselves know how you should imitate us,+ because we did not behave in a disorderly way among you, nor did we eat anyone’s food free.*+ On the contrary, by labor and toil we were working night and day so as not to impose an expensive burden on any one of you.+ Not that we do not have authority,+ but we wanted to offer ourselves as an example for you to imitate.+ 10 In fact, when we were with you, we used to give you this order: “If anyone does not want to work, neither let him eat.”+ 11 For we hear that some are walking disorderly among you,+ not working at all, but meddling with what does not concern them.+ 12 To such people we give the order and exhortation in the Lord Jesus Christ that they should work quietly and eat food they themselves earn.+

Acts 3:6 However, Peter said: “Silver and gold I do not possess, but what I do have is what I give you. In the name of Jesus Christ the Naz·a·reneʹ, walk!”

August 9, 2016 12:52 AM MDT

......and extra good to 

Maharishi Mahesh Yogi whose combined real estate and business holdings was at least $3.6 billion dollars  Though some estimate his vast financial empire is really worth closer to $5 billion. 

His closest rivals for that title would likely be:

Rev. Moon 82, who controlled the Unification Church and had somewhere around $3 billion.

And then David Miscavige, head of Scientology, a global organization with its own hefty holdings, which some say might easily be worth more than $1 billion.

based on https://cultnews.com/2003/11/maharishi-may-be-the-richest-cult-leader-in-the-world/

August 9, 2016 9:40 AM MDT