Active Now

WelbyQuentin
Danilo_G
Element 99
Malizz
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Holidays » Has rampant panhandling ever ruined a vacation experience for you? ~

Has rampant panhandling ever ruined a vacation experience for you? ~

When my wife and I spent Christmas in San Francisco, every single idealic idyllic sight-seeing location was inundated with homeless people begging for money, the majority of whom were aggressive at the least and angry/threatening at the worst. 

Has anything like that ever happened to you on vacation?
~

Posted - April 19, 2018

Responses

San Francisco is California government at its worst. Catering to the rich while tolerating the poor in their midst and trained not to see them. A few more years and you wouldn't notice them at all. This post was edited by O-uknow at April 19, 2018 7:15 AM MDT
      April 19, 2018 7:14 AM MDT

(Won't notice whom, the rich or the poor or neither of the two?)
      April 19, 2018 7:32 AM MDT

One butter biscuit coming up, lol. This post was edited by O-uknow at April 20, 2018 2:01 AM MDT
      April 20, 2018 1:57 AM MDT

Having spent years in the Marines wouldn't panhandling seem like a vacation for you -just sitting in the warm sun collecting money all day? Just avoid places like San Fran where there is too much competition. Could be a fun thing;  just make up some good tales about how you became a bum and people will always hand over extra cash when they hear a good story.

I never experienced problem with panhandlers but in Rome and Naples there were so many vendors clogging the touristy sites getting in the way trying to flog their cheap wares.
      April 19, 2018 9:06 AM MDT

My work ethic is far too strong for me to even find momentary satisfaction sitting on my butt with my hand out.

~
      April 19, 2018 7:42 PM MDT

Hand out for butter biscuits?
      April 20, 2018 2:02 AM MDT

"Idealic" - did you mean "ideal" or "idyllic?"
      April 19, 2018 9:14 AM MDT

April 19, 2018 7:43 PM MDT

Randy, I'm truly surprised at you.  Two days in a row?

April 20, 2018 7:28 AM MDT

I have experienced it but it didn't ruin the trip.  The place we encountered extreme panhandling was one we were passing through and stopped for lunch.  We gave all the change we had to the children except for one handful which my husband threw into the street so we could get into the car and drive away.  It was an obvious industry as we could see adults intently watching the children in what looked to be a protective manner.  
      April 19, 2018 6:23 PM MDT

San Francisco?
    ~
      April 19, 2018 7:47 PM MDT

No.  We were in Mexico.  I've been in California for an extended time (northern) but didn't go down to San Fran.  I just can't think of one reason I would go there.  I drove through there once and planned to and did go through around midnight never slowing down.  It was about 5AM when I got to LA and again, never slowed down; got on the 10 and headed toward the East Coast.   Never even slowed down except for fuel until I was out of California.  I enjoyed being up North in California for some months but when it was time to come home I couldn't make myself buy an airline ticket so I drove a rental all the way to the East Coast.  What a lovely trip that was.  I've done it twice since then.  :)
      April 20, 2018 4:34 AM MDT

No.

Acapulco was about to be a problem when we were there about 50+ years ago until I started speaking German to the little kids (aka the younger hustlers).

Kind of turned the tables on them when they couldn't figure out what I was saying.
      April 19, 2018 6:35 PM MDT