Discussion » Questions » Outside the Mug » Should artistic license be criticized until works match scripture and akin to divine?

Should artistic license be criticized until works match scripture and akin to divine?

Posted - April 20, 2018

Responses

People can't even get their religion to agree with the scriptures.
      April 20, 2018 9:59 PM MDT

Definitely not.
      April 21, 2018 2:13 AM MDT

You mean like the artistic license that paints Jesus as a fair-skinned European?  

When we give up our freedom to criticize, we abandon the ability to think or speak for ourselves. The world as North Korea. 
      April 21, 2018 6:36 AM MDT

Jesus is always painted as one of the locals. You only see the fair skinned European because you live among fair skinned Europeans.

You really should give more consideration to your own biases when you judge things.
      April 21, 2018 9:41 AM MDT

Wrong. It has nothing to do with my biases. I didn’t paint him. What a foolish comment. 

How many images of Christ have you seen that he appears as a brown skinned Middle Eastern man? 

All of the Middle Ages and Renaissance artists who painted Christ’s image, or featured him in stained glass windows did so under patronage of Europeans. So most of the iconography of Christ presents him as a white guy, yet curiously the faith still follows this fallacy. Go to any Christian merch store, see for yourself.  

Christians are too full of themselves and their delusions to admit reality. Present company included. 

This post was edited by Don Barzini at April 21, 2018 2:01 PM MDT
      April 21, 2018 1:33 PM MDT

Don, you can go to images.google.com and see the same pictures I look at. 

"Full of themselves" applies to people who make up their own bullsnot instead of checking around to see what reality really is. 

I appreciate your logic, even when I don't agree with it. Please keep it logical and never mind the personal insults.
      April 21, 2018 2:57 PM MDT

No and fortunately most people really don't even think like that, let alone consider it.
      April 21, 2018 11:20 AM MDT

CS Lewis, in his space trilogy, posited the existence of a race of what we might call "aliens" (although he did not so refer to them as such) whose presence were perceived by us as no more than brief disturbances in our visuals fields.

The restriction was in our ability to see and perceive---not in their ability to show themselves.

I fancy that a similar limitation exists when artists strive to present a glimpse of what they have seen of things associated with what we consider to be divine.

And perhaps their overall (perhaps unknown) intent is a felt necessity to portray existence rather than physical characteristics of the person or thing so depicted.
      April 21, 2018 2:47 PM MDT