Active Now

Element 99
CosmicWunderkind
Malizz
Danilo_G
Randy D
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Travel » Where are some unusual places you’ve been?

Where are some unusual places you’ve been?

Posted - April 24, 2018

Responses

• "Underground trucking terminal/loading dock"

April 24, 2018 1:10 PM MDT

I took a trip across the United States and my very favorite places of all were Bodega, California and Bodega Bay, California -- both places were where Alfred Hitchcock and Company filmed "The Birds."

PLOT SPOILER!!!! THE BIRDS!!!
    Here's the building that was the schoolhouse, outside of which Tippi Hedren as 'Melanie Daniels' smoked the cigarette and the crows started to congregate on the playground! Such a scary scene to me! (Funny, once the birds start to fly and attack the children --  that scene doesn't scare me like the cigarette smoking scene.)

Fun tidbit!! The schoolhouse is actually a mile or so away from the town. The school is about the only building on this road, rather by itself. So to make it look like the school is just up the hill from the town, from in front of them, they filmed the FRONT of the children running down the hill with the school behind them and then filmed, from behind the children, the BACK of the children running down a hill near the town, with the town at the bottom of the hill, to make it all work.
    So, the children actually running - - they ran down the hill from the schoolhouse and then had to run down another hill a mile away or so that was above the town.
    :)
    I'll try to find the scene.
    I'm going way off topic, I know, ha!
    And I don't think this made sense at all.

Image result for schoolhouse the birds bodega california

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at April 25, 2018 2:47 PM MDT
      April 24, 2018 2:47 PM MDT

ohh thanks for sharing!
      April 25, 2018 12:18 PM MDT

You're welcome, Ritesh!
      April 25, 2018 3:02 PM MDT

I saw one of girls smiling. I used this scene for one of Randy's questions and I noticed it.
      April 25, 2018 2:48 PM MDT

Oh, I think most of the children are terrible in this scene! Ha! That's probably why I have never found it too scary. Like I said, though, the scene with the crows on the playground right before it! Yes!
    A couple of the children are pretty good, though, I guess, running. But, in a way, I'm surprised Hitchcock let some of those children's expressions to stay in the movie in this scene.
    Did you use this scene recently for an answer to Randy D? I can imagine that you used the scene in an incredibly funny way.
    ;)

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at April 25, 2018 7:06 PM MDT
      April 25, 2018 3:01 PM MDT

Oh! And I spent a night alone as the only guest at The Lizzie Borden Bed and Breakfast in Fall River, Massachusetts, USA -- the actual house in its original location where Andrew and Abby Borden were murdered on August 4, 1892.

Image result for lizzie borden bed and breakfast This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at April 25, 2018 3:04 PM MDT
      April 24, 2018 2:57 PM MDT

All the places I have been were where they usually have been and usually still are. 

One of the fondest places I'm of was Spring Mill State Park, Indiana -- mainly because I was a bit sleepy and I thought I was still in Kentucky.
    https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=spring+mill+state+park
      April 24, 2018 5:46 PM MDT

I've been to 2000, 1500 and 1000 feet in a submersible.  Does that count?

Image result for Johnson Sealink Submersible
      April 24, 2018 8:12 PM MDT

of course it does!
      April 25, 2018 12:19 PM MDT

Nuclear missile repair/maintenance shop on the USS Hunley.
      April 25, 2018 3:00 PM MDT

Impressive-looking ship to me!
      April 25, 2018 3:05 PM MDT

Ahoy there, Shipmate!
      April 25, 2018 3:11 PM MDT

Did you serve?
      April 25, 2018 7:02 PM MDT

No, but had several cruises on research vessels.
      April 25, 2018 10:05 PM MDT

I've been to the top of our stairs ,which is strange as I live in a bungalow :)D 
      April 25, 2018 5:21 PM MDT

I think I have posted this link before. https://castledomemuseum.org/mines.html

One mine has a shaft 700 feet deep. That is straight down, not the usual slanted shaft where you can walk in and out. Access was by an elevator platform suspended by a cable and powered by a gasoline engine on the surface. 

There has always been somebody trying to turn that portion of the desert into a tourist attraction. The town described at the link was at one time the site of a religious retreat, and before that there was a long list of people trying to finance something or other. So that is why there was some curiosity about what was at the bottom of the main shaft. 

The only thing I remember about the trip was a mason jar imprisoned in flowstone. Water at that level is as much rock as liquid, mostly calcium, and it flows over things and dries to produce an iridescent white rock. With a mason jar trapped in it. The humidity there was surprising. Also surprising was the cool temperature.

A couple weeks after that trip, some punks snuck in and tried to steal an ore car out of the shaft. They got the hoist running, located a car, rolled it onto the elevator platform ... and the cable broke. The same cable that we had bet our lives on just a couple weeks before. I have no idea what happened to the punks.

April 25, 2018 8:53 PM MDT

Inside my own head is as weird as it gets.
      April 25, 2018 10:06 PM MDT