Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Language » The increasingly widespread use of profanity on broadcast television.

The increasingly widespread use of profanity on broadcast television.

It's 2018, and practically every type of broadcast television program already features rampant vulgarities in dialog: talks shows, dramas, sitcoms, "reality" shows, game shows, children's shows, news, sports, movies, documentaries, awards shows, etc.  That is NOT to say that all of the programs in each of these genres has profanity, it just means that the genres themselves are no longer completely free of profanity the way they used to be.

How soon before the advertising people decide that every single television commercial also needs profanity in order to appeal to the target demographic by seeming cool, hip and current and therefore boost profits?
~

Posted - April 26, 2018

Responses

• The absurd thing about advertising is that so much of it is aimed at young people, yet studies show that middle-aged and older demographics spend the most money. Advertisers waste time trying to be "cool". In today's world of streaming, I think television commercials are becoming less relevant anyway. 

Whether or not profanity appears in advertisements will probably depend on what shows the advertisements air around. It's unlikely, for example, that ads with profanity would air during a children's show. And who needs profanity in an ad for Dr. Scholls: "Hey f*ckface! Are your feet uncomfortable? Then check this sh*t out!"

I don't think advertisements need profanity, and it certainly wouldn't draw me to their products, but as I'm not particularly offended by profanity and many of my favorite TV shows are rife with it, it's a fight I don't really have a dog in. 
      April 26, 2018 11:31 PM MDT

We may spend the most money but we tune out advertisements.  I do not hear them at all.  I don't see a single ad online either. 
      April 27, 2018 7:21 AM MDT

Thank you. Unfortunately, the subtle and not-so-subtle infusion of "cutesy" words such as freaking, bullspit, etc. show how sneaky producers can be, and I agree with you; they think they're being cool and that it appeals to some people, especially the young ones. 
    ~
      April 27, 2018 8:00 PM MDT

I actually don't have a problem with actors saying f**k, either to stay in character or for shock value. Ditto comedians.
    It's when it becomes gratuitous that it's tiresome. Loses that value. It's the stongest profanity there is, so when overused it loses that impact ... then when you NEED that emphasis, you've got nowhere to go - you've blown your wad, so to speak. Billy Connolly and Frankie Boyle are two that are particularly guilty of it, both are sidesplittingly funny - but would be funnier still if they dropped the F bomb half as often.
      April 27, 2018 1:02 AM MDT

Thank you for your response. There's more to profanity than merely one curse word. While you refer to it as being the worst, it shouldn't be overlooked that the entire spectrum of curse words blatantly splattered all over broadcast television these days has become the norm. 
    ~
      April 27, 2018 7:55 PM MDT

Do not overreach Randy. You are already our self-appointed grammar guardinan. Leave the profanity crusade to others.
      April 27, 2018 6:18 AM MDT

(Comma after the word "overreach".)
    (guardinan guardian)
      April 27, 2018 7:52 PM MDT

Not just profanity but using what shocks and disgusts.  I was not brought up with all that and though I may have used some when I was younger I seldom do now.  I don't see it as being at all expressive or articulate and ts like they throw it in only because they can't think of anything better to say or do.  I do watch TV but pretty limited selections and if possible none where they engage in that.  My husband enjoys watching Cops and Live PD and on one of those channels they have promos for another program showing people with swords slicing up and beheading human models which is pretty disgusting. 
      April 27, 2018 6:58 AM MDT

I've no use for TV other than SEC sports.  I don't pay for TV; I have free broadcast channels and access to all the sports channels through another route.
      April 27, 2018 7:23 AM MDT

There is no use for profanity of any kind on TV. If a show uses the F word I switch channels.
      April 27, 2018 7:39 AM MDT

I have TVguardian....it works with the closed captioning and mutes curse words and will put non curse words on the screen. Makes TV much more enjoyable.....that and DVR so you can fast forward through the commercials as well....(nothing like a "good" Naked and Afraid... person being flashed in your face etc)
      April 27, 2018 4:44 PM MDT

Thanks!  I wasn't aware of that technology. 
    :)
      April 27, 2018 7:49 PM MDT

I also was not aware.
      April 27, 2018 9:46 PM MDT

I go by the old adage: "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me"
      April 27, 2018 7:55 PM MDT

Words don't hurt me but that does not mean I want to hear the junk. 
      April 27, 2018 9:34 PM MDT

I was going to write a paragraph or two, but I just don't care that much.

CS Lewis once commented that just because there is error in one direction does not mean there is no error in the opposite direction.

We're still in my comfort zone TV wise.

Words should serve speech, speech should not serve words.

Once a child turns about 2 years old, a good "sh*t" can still be a high point of his day---whether real or spoken. This post was edited by tom jackson at April 27, 2018 8:26 PM MDT
      April 27, 2018 8:25 PM MDT