Active Now

Danilo_G
my2cents
Malizz
Slartibartfast
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Ever attend a rally? For whom, what, when and why?

Ever attend a rally? For whom, what, when and why?

Posted - April 29, 2018

Responses

Several, as a student. Protesting what I and those of like minds saw as injustices. I was even arrested once, for chaining myself to a bulldozer.
      April 29, 2018 8:51 AM MDT

Wow! Very impressive m'dear. Did chaining yourself hurt at all? Did "they" cut off the chains and drag you/carry away? Brave! Thank you for your reply Sbf! :)
      April 30, 2018 4:25 AM MDT

No, it didn't hurt. Yes, they cut the chains - no need to carry me, I wasn't violent. Just cuffed me and led me away.
    The long-footed potoroo no longer exists in the wild in the state of New South Wales, its last habitat was clear felled. It was also one of the last koala colonies not infected with chlamydia. It was that I was protesting.
      April 30, 2018 6:39 AM MDT

((hugs)) Good for you! I think that was a very noble thing to do Sbf. May I ask how old you were at the time? Do we get braver as we get older or less so? Do you know? Thank you for your informative follow-up comment. With the Sierra Club in California we often see/hear of those who chain themselves to trees. But a bulldozer? That's a new one for me! :)
      April 30, 2018 6:46 AM MDT

I was almost nineteen. Brave? Not really. Foolhardy, more likely. I think we get wiser as we get older, I now agitate politically and at a much lower key. Letters/phone calls to members of Parliament (analogous to your Congress).
    Btw, I have a new "favourite" Congressman. Can somebody convince Senator Duckworth to run? 
      April 30, 2018 6:55 AM MDT

She just had a baby and brought her little girl to work with her a few days ago.. I think she lost both legs in battle in Iraq. Her name is Tammy Duckworth. She is a Senator and she is AWESOME! You have good taste m'dear!  Thank you for the info! :) This post was edited by RosieG at April 30, 2018 7:23 AM MDT
      April 30, 2018 7:20 AM MDT

Yes, one for Bill Clinton. 1992 on my home town. 
    One for Mike Huckabee 2008. Springfield Mo.
      April 30, 2018 4:46 AM MDT

Believe it or not I was actually quite active in the feminist group Take Back the Night - almost forty year ago. And we used to hold rallies and march as a group through dangerous neighborhoods at night yelling slogans like that.  The idea was to make nights safer for women like ourselves. And we used to publish lists of men - with their addresses - who had raped us.  Was quite a good community and we were feeling like we were really doing something. 
      April 30, 2018 7:43 AM MDT

Not political ones. Caravan ones.
      April 30, 2018 1:12 PM MDT