Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Outside the Mug » Is what women call a diary men prefer to refer to as a journal?

Is what women call a diary men prefer to refer to as a journal?

I know. Just a thing ;)

Posted - April 30, 2018

Responses

Yes.  I've never heard a counselor suggest that a man keep a diary, however, the suggestion of a journal is common.  Women and girls have "journaled" their lives for generations in what is called a diary.  I never have known a boy to do so but that doesn't mean they don't/haven't.  But men do keep journals and history has given us some good examples of that.  
      May 1, 2018 3:45 AM MDT

I'd say no... they are fairly similar things and many people would use then interchangeably... It's true that *some* counsellors etc *may* differentiate if they feel that *some* of their clients have a particular over-sensitivity towards certain expressions,  i.e. an insecurity about their masculinity. I keep a *journal* or am supposed to. I see maybe a slight difference in that a diary is perhaps more personal, and a journal perhaps more specific; recording triggers etc...

By way of evidence I offer Samuel Pepys diary, note diary.  

There may be a slight preference re language, I definitely DO think of the word Journal as being more an *American* word. Wall Street Journal, and stuff... It has a kind of alien ring to it to me...but is a word that has crept in over here in recent years.
      May 1, 2018 6:16 AM MDT

I never referred to mine as a "diary." I think it sounds too girly and "journal" sounds way cooler anyway.
      May 1, 2018 9:16 AM MDT

maybe
      May 20, 2018 4:49 PM MDT