Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Business » Have all personal ads been taken off Craig's List worldwide?

Have all personal ads been taken off Craig's List worldwide?

I noted they were taken off USA states and territories several weeks ago. Now I can find no personal ads anywhere in Craig's List worldwide. (Unless I'm simply failing to find them.)

Posted - May 4, 2018

Responses

The European Union is currently implementing a new standard to protect people against SPAM and misuse of personal information. A great thing that goes further than most Americans would even dream of.

https://litmus.com/blog/gdpr-what-europes-new-privacy-law-means-for-email-marketers
    https://www.csoonline.com/article/3202771/data-protection/general-data-protection-regulation-gdpr-requirements-deadlines-and-facts.html

My guess is that Craigs-list are holding ALL advertizing. Until they have implemented a system ensuring proofs or binding promises from advertizes that their targeting is conformant to the demands of the General Data Protection Regulations.
      May 4, 2018 3:57 PM MDT

Interesting!

I don't know if these links you've posted affect the kind of personal ads of which I was speaking --  like hook-ups and meeting people, like Men Looking for Men, Women Looking for Men, Men looking for Women, etc.

Thanks for helping me, Jakob the unAmerican
    :)
      May 4, 2018 4:48 PM MDT

I remember reading or watching something about this a few weeks ago. They have removed all of the personals because of the supposed anti-sex-trafficking law that passed (FOSTA)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_Enabling_Sex_Traffickers_Act

Many people think this act only put actual trafficking victims more at risk, more underground. 

May 4, 2018 8:26 PM MDT

Thanks, SavvyAnsley. That's sort of what I heard, too --  about sex trafficking. Craig's List is specifically mentioned at the end of your article. I assume the rest of the world followed suit after USA.
    It seems rather extreme (and ineffective?) way to fight sex trafficking. But it if it helps, I guess? And I'm not expert in all of this and know nothing about sex trafficking details. But to stop it is obviously a worthy goal. I don't know. Seems an extreme way.
    I admit I liked simply looking at the variety of personal ads out there, both locally and all around the world.
    :) This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at May 5, 2018 7:52 PM MDT
      May 5, 2018 5:53 AM MDT

I find it strange that the same sector who cling so desperately to their 2nd amendment rights, regardless of the cost to innocents, are happy to trample on the first amendment rights of others. Personally, I think that prostitution should be legal and well regulated. I agree with the numerous experts who say that the reason traffickers flourish like they do, is mostly because prostitution is illegal. I'm certainly not an expert either, and I don't really have a horse in this race. I'm not at all interested in either paying for sex or offering it for sale, but I have a decent amount of common sense. 

I didn't realize that such ads even existed on Craiglist until fairly recently. I was shocked to learn that one of my favorite local parks has quite a reputation for being an "after hours" hook-up place! Hahaha! 
      May 5, 2018 8:05 PM MDT

And most of the ads I saw were not of a prostitution-type set-up. most were just regular folks looking to meet up with someone.
    I think prostitution could be legal, too. Consensual adults not harming each other and wishing to be together and providing service and one-or-more willing to pay? I see no big deal.
      May 6, 2018 4:31 AM MDT

not that i know of but i wouldnt be surprised
      May 6, 2018 5:32 PM MDT