Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Books and Literature » Do you find it difficult to avoid comparing a movie-adaptation of a book you've read to the book?

Do you find it difficult to avoid comparing a movie-adaptation of a book you've read to the book?

Another answerMugger recommended a book called "Beach Music." If a movie were ever made of it, I know I would compare the he** out of the movie to the superlative book.

I, for years, did the same thing to Kubrick's "The Shining." Whenever I stop comparing it to the book, I can see it is a great film. (But the made-for-TV mini-series of "The Shining" is, to me, a better film and more faithful to the novel. Woops! There I go again!)

Image result for beach music novelImage result for novel The Shining

Posted - May 6, 2018

Responses

2000 mockingbirds = 2 kilomockingbird
      May 8, 2018 6:46 PM MDT

NICE, Slartibartfast! Ha!
    :)
      May 8, 2018 6:48 PM MDT

Unfortunately my enjoyment of several movies has been spoiled by precisely that. The Fellowship of the Ring was so disappointing that I never saw the rest of it and vowed to never force myself to endure another Peter Jackson abortion disguised as a movie. JRR never wanted it filmed and explained why in his essay On Faerie (recommended).
      May 8, 2018 6:50 PM MDT

I remember reading on the site here your disappointment that they even made a film of it. I'd think JRR's wishes might have been honored.

I do recommend Peter Jackson's "Heavenly Creatures." It was pre-"Lord of the Rings" and an excellent little movie to me.
    :)
    Based on the Parker-Hulme murder case of 1954 in New Zealand. You probably already know that, though.

Image result for heavenly creatures movie poster This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at May 9, 2018 3:55 PM MDT
      May 9, 2018 3:53 PM MDT