Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Have you ever had thoughts like "This isn't the life for me," and what have you done to change things?

Have you ever had thoughts like "This isn't the life for me," and what have you done to change things?

Do you work a standard 40-hours-a-week job and live for the weekends and evenings spent in front of the TV or computer? Is there any other way to live? How can a young person (like me) change their life and live outside of the lines without being absolutely poor? It's not that I don't want to try, it's just that I want something worth trying for... 

Posted - August 9, 2016

Responses

As a child, I saw a photo of a homeless bum who had no money. I was shocked. I decided that I would never be like this bum. At that moment, I also became a conservative. I searched the newspaper want ads for any jobs for kids. The local newspaper needed a delivery kid, but that route was too far away. So I continued to bug them for a route. Eventually, I got a route that I built up to become the largest in town. (and 7 miles long on a bicycle)

August 9, 2016 1:13 PM MDT

• It is easiest to just give up hope.

August 9, 2016 2:02 PM MDT

Where does that leave us, then? 

August 9, 2016 2:28 PM MDT

So... You're saying I should deliver papers? hehe. I don't think conservatism is the answer to my lost sense of direction, either. Thanks for sharing your experiences, anyway. I'll figure it out, or I won't. 

August 9, 2016 2:29 PM MDT

• Right where we are.

August 9, 2016 2:35 PM MDT

I used to work the 40 hour job.  I made my employer approximately $1500 a day, and kept a fraction of that to take home to my family.  In return I got an office and some equipment to use and little risk, just a steady income.  So I work for myself now and it's much better.  I lost some hair at the start because I was working too hard, but now I have found a balance so I can relax but still bring home more money and feel more satisfied.

August 9, 2016 6:22 PM MDT

Do you have your own transportation and are you located in or near a major metro area? If so, I'll gladly offer you some experienced based advice on a solid yet small starter business that will change your financial situation quickly. But you have to commit to it, no foolin. Self-employment is much more stressful than a 9 to 5 grind, but it will enable you to take full possession of your time and how you choose to spend it. Pm any time.

August 9, 2016 6:37 PM MDT