Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Outside the Mug » If each of us has a unique fingerprint, can you imagine the billions and billions of distinct fingerprint patterns that have existed? Wow!

If each of us has a unique fingerprint, can you imagine the billions and billions of distinct fingerprint patterns that have existed? Wow!

Posted - August 9, 2016

Responses

• Wasn't it Karl Popper who said something like "You cannot really prove a theory; you can only disprove it by citing one exception."?

August 10, 2016 9:30 AM MDT

All right. His book is available on Amazon so I might order it.
    I had a pretty good book years ago by an Auzzie psychologist but is out of print now.
      August 10, 2016 9:36 AM MDT

• Oh, that's good. :)

August 10, 2016 9:50 AM MDT

And given that our solar system is in the shape of an atom, imagine that we all could be part of one tiny atom in the fingernail of some giant being. Wow - cosmic, man!

August 9, 2016 10:55 PM MDT

Our fingerprint patterns are unique like every person's brain is distinctly unique. The lines and skin ridge pattern of the palm of the hands -as well as toe prints and soles of the feet comes from the brain via the nervous system
    If you learn psychological palm reading from a reliable source you can learn a lot of characteristics about a person in particular what their strengths are by studying their palms.

Job 37:7 "He sealeth the up the hand of every man so all may know his work" KJV
      August 9, 2016 11:55 PM MDT

That's pretty amazing, when you go back through the era's of time.

August 10, 2016 3:28 AM MDT

We're like snowflakes times ten (twenty when you think about it; our toes have them too). The mind is adequately boggled.

~
      August 10, 2016 6:09 AM MDT

(eras)
      August 10, 2016 6:09 AM MDT

I see no reason to believe that everyone has a unique fingerprint.

Yes there are many possible combinations and duplication between any two random individuals is extremely unlikely but at the same time it would be impossible to prove all are unique without comparing billions.

On the other side, a single set of matching prints could disprove this.

You would also have to define what it means to match.  Of course looking at each atom no fingerprints would match, but that also means the same person's fingerprint would not match from one moment to the next.  So a better definition would probably be that they match well enough that it can't be determined if a print is from one person or another.  I suggest that that greatly reduces how many possible fingerprints there are to go around the world and there is likely duplication somewhere, somehow.

August 10, 2016 8:28 AM MDT

• Nice analogy, Stu :)

August 10, 2016 9:24 AM MDT

• I have a lovely book by Mir Bashir which teaches psychological palm reading.

August 10, 2016 9:25 AM MDT

• Yes it is, isn't it?

August 10, 2016 9:26 AM MDT

• It is mind boggling. Did you bring the snowflakes into your answer because they take a variety of shapes and patterns? 

August 10, 2016 9:28 AM MDT

• "No" ... they must be related to snowflakes!
      October 8, 2016 6:52 AM MDT