Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Random Knowledge » If my DNA has a "slim-build" gene but I've put on weight through bad dietary habits, would it be easier for me to revert to my original figure than someone whose DNA contains a "fat-build" gene?

If my DNA has a "slim-build" gene but I've put on weight through bad dietary habits, would it be easier for me to revert to my original figure than someone whose DNA contains a "fat-build" gene?

Posted - August 10, 2016

Responses

• I just did a quick cram on the Net.

Many different sources of research confirm that poor lifestyle habits do change your metabolism, making it easier to gain more fat from the same amount and type of food.

The slim gene does make it easier to keep weight off and to lose it.

Fad diets and fasting only cause the body to be more efficient at fat storage.

Moderation and consistency are the keys to success.

Fortunately, changing to a good lifestyle can reverse a poor metabolism back to a healthy one.

But for both slim and fat gene types, the same improvements in lifestyle make a big difference.

And I'm sure you've heard them all before:

Exercise: composed of 3 x 3-minutes maximum all out effort

alternating with 4 x 5 minutes of moderate effort x 3 times per week minimum - start with

x 3 times per week minimum - start with

- Start with one-minute sprints and build up.

Food - lots of high fibre foods, everything fresh and whole,

nothing processed, no white sugars or starches (like white flour)

2 Tbsps each of apple cider vinegar and olive oil per day,

high protein foods as much as the palm of hand 3 times a week,

no more than 7 grams or 1/3 ounce saturated fat per day,

avoid eating in the 3 hours before bedtime,

preferably main meal breakfast, light at lunch, nothing in evening 

- Unless you're diabetic in which case small and frequent.

Sleep - essential to get 8 hours good sleep per night

- this helps produce leptin which switches off hunger.

Personally, I find that getting the right amount of exercise is my key to good sleep,

and the best way to get it is whatever exercise you enjoy most.

August 10, 2016 2:13 AM MDT

Generally speaking, especially the younger a person is, I believe that the answer is yes. As we get up in age, however, it's normal and natural for human metabolism to slow down, so our weight tends to increase. The ability to maintain a lower weight becomes a little more challenging in that circumstance, regardless of genetics.
    ~
      August 30, 2016 5:38 AM MDT

• Wow, Hartfire! How did I miss this super answer for so many days!

August 30, 2016 7:07 AM MDT

• So at 44, am I young or old, or borderline?

August 30, 2016 7:08 AM MDT