Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Relationships » When sitting around with friends, do you ever just make something up as if true because it makes a good story?

When sitting around with friends, do you ever just make something up as if true because it makes a good story?

Someone close to me does that and then looks to me to back her up.  I have to answer that I don't remember.  Then I'm in trouble.  What a world!

Posted - May 19, 2018

Responses

The correct response in that situation is: “If you say so”.
    It takes you off the spot and doesn’t contradict your friend. 
      May 19, 2018 7:47 PM MDT

no, i dont do stuff like that
      May 20, 2018 4:39 PM MDT

One of the better stories I told to these guys I was working with was about when I was in the Navy and we were crossing the equator and at the point of crossing it had gotten so hot due to global warming that the ship's superstructure began to melt -the gun barrels were drooping down, steel masts bending over like hot wax candles, etc, so then us crew had to at once muster on deck with crowbar and hammers pry and hammer  things back in shape quickly before the steel cooled off too much and became hardened out of shape.

I actually couldn't believe some guys were seriously gullible enough to take me seriously. 
      May 20, 2018 5:27 PM MDT

Once I told the story about how a friend and I went diving three miles from shore in an inflatable boat.  My friend accidentally (of course) set the boat on fire and we were out there in full scuba gear, three miles from shore with the wind and waves carrying us out to sea.  One of them asked in a very alarmed voice, Oh my gosh, what happened?  I said, "I drowned, of course."  No one believed it but they sure got a good laugh.
    Actually we were rescued before we had swum back to shore. This post was edited by CallMeIshmael at May 20, 2018 9:39 PM MDT
      May 20, 2018 9:31 PM MDT

Good story. 
      May 20, 2018 9:40 PM MDT

Of course, if it's a bullsh** session. It's expected.
      May 20, 2018 9:42 PM MDT