Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Do you fact-check before spreading information? What sources do you use?

Do you fact-check before spreading information? What sources do you use?

Posted - June 2, 2018

Responses

Yea, I do - I love to research and learn so mostly I have already checked it out... If I am mid debate on a subject I am not sure about, or even if I am, I will often pop off and look for research.. Sources, I go by consensus a lot - one website or source could be biased or have an agenda. I read the Times a lot and I like it because it does present both sides..
      June 2, 2018 1:14 PM MDT

I always try to go to the other side of the aisle's news outlets if possible. I also use Snopes and FactCheck.org. 

My Brit friend has said that your Sun readers are like our Fox News watchers. ;)
      June 2, 2018 8:07 PM MDT

Usually sources I already have on my rss news feeds, but I'm sure there are people out there that think those sources aren't reliable no matter what. That's on them though.
      June 2, 2018 1:18 PM MDT

I'm amazed that so many people don't do it at all. 
      June 2, 2018 8:10 PM MDT

Pretty much.  Of my Facebook crowd from high school that I play  with I'm the official meme fact checker.  
      June 2, 2018 7:20 PM MDT

I've been known to post a Snopes link or two. :)
      June 2, 2018 8:12 PM MDT

Yes, I do a fact check. I use only the sources that are trustworthy, reliable, unbiased, politically incorrect (tell it like it is), and that report "all" of the news and not just what they want you to hear. Yup, believe it or not, such news sources do exist. There's a couple in my area. :)
      June 4, 2018 6:50 AM MDT

I do believe that. 

Thanks!
      June 4, 2018 7:25 AM MDT

Truth satisfies the mind; doubt serves to confuse it.

Truth is the conformity of the mind to that which exists.

Sometimes I do research, sometimes I already know the answer and look for it already stated so I don't have to write an essay.  (I'm ADHD and written output requires greater effort for me than people without it.)

But I always attempt to say what I think to be true whether fact based or a case of application of appropriate principles to an individual situation.

June 4, 2018 1:24 PM MDT