Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Random Knowledge » Are there, generally speaking, less questions on a Friday and Saturday late afternoon/evening than at other times?

Are there, generally speaking, less questions on a Friday and Saturday late afternoon/evening than at other times?

I am just wondering if there is a trend, or pattern? Is it that most people have one of those things called a *life* so they are off doing things, like spending time with family, kids, friends? 

Posted - June 2, 2018

Responses

Difficult to say as you are 5-8 hours ahead of the US, where most members reside. It does seem to slack off around 2000 as more people are relaxing elsewhere, and Western US is dinner time.
      June 2, 2018 5:48 PM MDT

I miss the good ol' days of AnswerBag when we had a more international membership, and even among the members in the United States, a larger and much more diverse showing. 
    ~
      June 3, 2018 5:33 PM MDT

(less questions fewer questions)

June 2, 2018 7:15 PM MDT

I left that one for you. I don't pick on Brits anymore, even though they invented the language.
      June 3, 2018 7:29 AM MDT

(anymore any more)

Any more (two words) is reserved for the meaning even the smallest amount. In other words, when used as a determiner, the two-word spelling any more is used. Anymore (one word) is reserved for the meaning any longer. In other words, when used as an adverb, the one-word spelling anymore is used.
      June 3, 2018 7:56 AM MDT

an·y·more
    ËŒenēˈmôr/
    adverb
    adverb: anymore; adverb: any more

to any further extent; any longer.
    "she refused to listen anymore"
      June 3, 2018 7:59 AM MDT

In context, "any more" is correct for the sentence you posted, "anymore" is incorrect.

June 3, 2018 8:11 AM MDT

Given the fact that this site has a menu under "Questions," I think loose construction of the grammar rules potentially involved is appropriate. 
      June 3, 2018 2:59 PM MDT

Both are grammatically correct my friend.. Less and fewer don't mean the same thing exactly..in the context I used it, 'less' was the right word.  Both are correct grammar, it just depends on the context. 

This is what I love about grammar, we are always learning and can never rest on our laurels. This post was edited by Adaydreambeliever at June 3, 2018 8:00 AM MDT
      June 3, 2018 7:31 AM MDT

In this context, both are definitely not grammatically correct, my friend. You're under no obligation to agree, but fewer is the only correct one of the two for the question you posted. 
    ~
      June 3, 2018 7:54 AM MDT

(questions not question). Both are acceptable use of the language.
      June 3, 2018 8:26 AM MDT

Question, singular. Yes, you posted two questions; there is only one question in which you used the word "less", it is the only one to which I refer.  
      Both the words "less" and "fewer" are acceptable use of the language within each of their own definitions and connotations based on context. They are not, however, 100% interchangeable with each other. 
      As I stated previously, you are under no obligation to agree, you've simply used the wrong word for the context of the question that you posted. If you care to continually repeat that it is correct, fine; I will in turn continually repeat that it is not. 
      Your turn. 
    ~
      June 3, 2018 11:16 AM MDT

You are right there, I seem to remember I read your response quickly and was under the impression you were referring to both. I can see now that you weren't. 

I would agree that the two words in question are not interchangeable, I believe I made reference to that as well. 

Going back to the original point, while one may be more technically correct, in terms of grammatical rules - both are acceptable in use. 

I very rarely, or almost never, correct grammar, I make you an honourable exception, of course. The reason I don't correct grammar is that for me content will always be more important and as long as the content and intent is of value, I am happy, but even more than that, I don't correct grammar because no one is perfect. If I were perfect, that would make me dull, and more to the point, I feel I cannot criticise others if I don't always get it right.  I am guessing it's a 'let he who is without sin, cast the first stone.' Another one I bear in mind in this is, 'people who live in glass houses, shouldn't throw stones.' 

I know that whilst we all. of course, look to you as the guru of grammar, we know too that even the great and wonderful Randy D is not perfect. We should, and perhaps do, take solace from this - but for me, it generally speaks me very unlikely to critique grammar. Personally, I am glad you are not perfect either, that makes you way more interesting :)
      June 3, 2018 12:27 PM MDT

ifcontent is truly important two ewe ,than it seams too fallow thet u'd all sew phind d'korekt wirds impotent rite
      June 3, 2018 1:04 PM MDT

Exactly, but as you know the right word is sometimes either arbitrary, subjective or has been changed in general usage so that what were once written in stone rules, are now more flexible :P  I mean there's a world of difference between using a word that is less correct technically speaking, but which is still perfectly correct in terms of being clear and understandable, and using a word which is entirely incorrect and nonsensical, as your reply demonstrated perfectly  :P This post was edited by Adaydreambeliever at June 4, 2018 6:31 AM MDT
      June 3, 2018 2:26 PM MDT

And in this particular and specific instance, fewer is the only correct word.
    ~
      June 3, 2018 5:10 PM MDT

LOL so you say... but as I said, in British English the word, 'less' is usually used now. So it is colloquially and usage correct to say less in English.  Interestingly, one example oft highlighted is the use of the words, '10 items or less' - like it or not, grammar and usage have a bit of a battle here and usage is winning out. Most people, most of the time, use less here in the way I used it.. So, while it may not be 100% accurate in terms of grammatical ruling, it IS correct in terms of English usage.  It's akin to the use of, 'Can I get a sandwich?' that makes me cringe as it's not good English to me but as we know it's perfectly acceptable in US usage. You can insist it's grammatically incorrect, til the cows come home - and technically, if one is only using grammatical criteria, you are correct. However, as we know language usage and norms can and do supersede grammar and we see this all the time. Many grammatical rules are overruled by usage now - we can hate that or embrace it, it's an individual choice. But we do have to accept that a) none of us are perfect when it comes to grammar, we all make mistakes, which just goes to show how devilishly complex and perhaps overstated is the insistence on grammatical correctness and b) a fair amount of grammar is art and c) that there's a good degree of debate still over whether content and creativity are way more important than whether one puts a comma in the right place and d) there are variations in US and UK grammar, most likely there are variations elsewhere too. 
      June 5, 2018 2:16 AM MDT

As I said to Stu, I found this article interesting, it describes the point I am trying to make, but does it better than I. They make the distinction between prescriptive, (with all that that implies) and descriptive grammar. I'd look more into this but I really have to get my assignment done as it's due in soon and I am way behind. If ever I get the chance I would love to investigate this subject more. Thank you for this interesting debate. 
      June 5, 2018 3:03 AM MDT

They are most definitely not grammatically correct. Less is correct only with a singular subject, such as rain or sugar, ie less sugar. One would never say "fewer sugar." Fewer is correct with a plural subject, such as cars or questions, ie one should ALWAYS say fewer cars or fewer questions, not LESS cars or questions.

Imagine, a couple of Yanks correcting a Brit's English! I wonder if Dr. Benjamin Franklin, John Adams, Thomas Jefferson et al ever thought that would happen.
    This post was edited by Stu Spelling Bee at June 4, 2018 6:32 AM MDT
      June 3, 2018 2:58 PM MDT

DO remember in your attempt at sanctimoniousness that actually Brit grammar and US grammar DO differ as does accepted use of language.. So there definitely ARE some things you would never say.. you gave some good examples.. you wouldn't say fewer sugar.. but as always with grammar there are rules that can be bent and which apply sometimes not others.. less questions is ok.. it isn't singular.. but technically speaking fewer IS more grammatically correct. 

Language use and what is deemed acceptable and common practice evolve.. and here it's perfectly acceptable to say less cars.. there are less cars on the road would NOT be something one would be jumped all over for here.. IF it is considered unacceptable there and a no no then that's fine.. but it's really not at all uncommon here.. I can only imagine, since it is pretty commonly heard here that language use has evolved to the point where this is no longer considered weird or unusual.. 

Sorry to have been a downer here just when you thought you had won a small victory.. I really can't imagine why you feel that's so important to you.. 
      June 3, 2018 4:30 PM MDT

Just to add, (as I am just off to bed so may miss any replies and may therefore not get a chance to reply) that quite often I would query some of the things you guys, (not this is a collective term not used to you or anyone else personally) say; it sounds odd and clunky to me, not gramatically correct.. However, what I need always to remember is that for you guys it probably IS correct grammar.. A classic example that always drove me a little mad but I never mentioned it.. is the American way of saying, 'Can I get a sandwich.' - for me, for the language and grammar I am familiar with that just sounds so incorrect.. I could no more say that than fly through the air.. I would only ever say, 'Can I have a sandwich?'  Subtle difference but perhaps an important one.. .Is, 'Can I get?' grammatically incorrect? I am not sure.. I could look it up.. but it IS grammatically incorrect in Brit-language usage.. I am hoping this illustrates what I mean? Usage sometimes overrules grammar.  
      June 3, 2018 4:38 PM MDT

Sanctimonious? Small victory? Is this stuff a competitive thing for you? It certainly isn't for me. I just happen to enjoy precision in language. It's not meant in any kind of sanctimonious way. And BTW, less cars is just as incorrect there as it is here. It just has become "accepted" as part of the dumbing down of society. People either don't know or never learned the rule, or they're too lazy to take an extra few seconds to find out and get it correct and just leave it as the first thing they say or write down.
      June 3, 2018 6:36 PM MDT

Here's where language gets interesting.. .and it may be that some cultures and use of language emphasise different things. You know I am one who always explains my thinking, so thank you for this opportunity.. It was you who stated something along the lines of, 'imagine two Yanks beating a Brit in grammar. ' THIS implies that YOU saw it as a competition and so I responded to YOUR taking it in a competitive way. For me it's not a competition, never was, never would be as  I am someone who clearly, regularly states that I not only recognise the regional and cultural differences in use of language but I also find it interesting.  So therefore, therewith and thereat I would logically not be the one who sees it as a competition. You used language that very much sneaked along those lines..  

In addition, there seemed a strong element of smugness in your comment, "Imagine a couple of Yanks" and ending with an exclamation mark.. we all know the grammar behind that one! Emphasis means you wanted to highlight that point.. and the most logical reason for doing that was that you felt some sense of glee, pride or smugness - hence the comment sanctimonious; the believe, which intentional, realised or not, you DID convey, was that you felt yourself, yourselves superior in THIS instance.. Therefore the choice of the word, in my case was reflective of that :) I accept your avowed proclamation that there was no intent on your part - but I am happy to be able to explain. Syntax and meaning is my thing... and I think that just as it's claimed people don't use the correct grammar all the time, syntax, meaning and implied, especially passive-aggressive meaning is often being overlooked. 

Grammatically fewer is correct but in terms of usage, less is acceptable and fine - it conveys the same meaning, exactly the same.. and no one is confused or misled. It's only grammar fans who feel the need to correct it.. I wouldn't like to postulate on why that is - personally, I find it interesting. 

I have stated often that my generation were not taught grammar, this was a conscious decision as it was believed, at that time, that content and creativity mattered more.. The upshot of this, clearly, is that for me, syntax, flow, meaning, words, vocabulary, strong emphasis on descriptive explanation, use of words matters and analysis of same is important. Others tend to gloss over that.. 

Is one way more correct than the other? Is grammar more important than meaning, content and accurate vocabulary? One can debate that til the cows come home but there is no proof either way and a tendency to feel that usage and meaning is more important than adhering to old rules that evolved, (remember they evolved too) many hundreds of years ago now. Indeed that they were drawn up at a time where many words that were in common usage then, are no longer used.. An example is whom for instance.. We don't use many or even most of the words that were part of those rules. 

Anyway, this is a fascinating debate for sure, ('for sure' is an Americanism that I have picked up along the way btw) and an enjoyable one.. I hope I manage to stay in touch with the thread; my worry is that I will lose is as I only take note of the first 10 or so notifications and never have time to meander through them past that point. 

I found this interesting page online, it's not a definitive source but it does make, better than I, the case regarding what they call, prescriptive and descriptive grammar. 

https://www.theodysseyonline.com/18-signs-northerner-southern-university

June 5, 2018 2:59 AM MDT

Actually, I said correcting, not beating. Big difference there. That you somehow read it as beating is quite interesting.
      June 5, 2018 7:15 AM MDT