Discussion » Questions » Random Knowledge » Are there, generally speaking, less questions on a Friday and Saturday late afternoon/evening than at other times?

Are there, generally speaking, less questions on a Friday and Saturday late afternoon/evening than at other times?

I am just wondering if there is a trend, or pattern? Is it that most people have one of those things called a *life* so they are off doing things, like spending time with family, kids, friends? 

Posted - June 2, 2018

Responses

• I do remember from school grammar of more than fifty years ago that less is an adjective of quantity, whereas fewer is an adjective of number. COUNTABILITY matters here. For example,
    I saw less bread on the supermarket shelves this morning. 
    I saw fewer loaves of bread on the supermarket shelves this morning. 
    Hope this clears things up.

Now I'll put forward a point of view. Why do we have two separate words to indicate a decrease in quantity or number, but only one to indicate an increase? 
    More bread, and more loaves of bread. 
      June 3, 2018 5:01 PM MDT

Excellent question. But I think you and I said essentially the same thing, ie countability equates to a plural subject such as questions or loaves.
      June 3, 2018 6:24 PM MDT

• Absolutely, Stu Bee
      June 5, 2018 7:21 PM MDT

• In some cases, a quantity of something is an easier way to indicate how much of something there is.

For instance, it would be difficult to count grains of flour.

For fun, I asked how many grains of flour in a kilogram and got the followinganswerby Joshua Engel on Quora.

"It depends widely on the grind. Ultrafine flour can be as little as 15 microns; coarse grinds can be over 500 microns.

Let's pick 200 microns as a reasonable number. Starch is 1.5 grams per cm^3. That makes each grain about 10^-4 grams.  My calculation:

1 kg / (4/3 * pi * (100 microns)^3 * 1.5 g/cm^3)

Which gives approximately 100 million per kilogram.

Except Lawrence Davies, also on Quora...

Spotted a possible slight mistake in the maths. If you're using 200 microns, that's 0.02 cm. If you're taking the particles as approximately cubic in shape you'll get 1.5 x 0.02^3 = 0.000012 g, or about 10^-5 grams (the rounding down makes up a bit for rounded edges on the specks). So maybe a decimal place was missed (easily done) and that's 100 million per packet?

The flour in my 1kg packet I've examined appeared to be only about 100 microns (not visible at around 40 cm from the naked eye, though visible at about 20 cm). So for these you'd be looking at around 800 million specks per packet. Or getting on for a billion!

So it makes sense to talk of less flour rather than fewer grains of flour.
    And this would apply to all masses of things that are too numerous to count.

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at June 7, 2018 5:49 PM MDT
      June 5, 2018 11:05 PM MDT

• I've noticed this site is far more active when it is the week-end in the USA - and the level of activity varies across night and day, and across the time-zones.
      June 3, 2018 2:41 AM MDT

Well hello there young lady. How have you been?
      June 3, 2018 7:30 AM MDT

• Thanks for the sweet hello young man! :)
    Nice to see you again too.
    I've been well - busy and thriving in the creative writing course.

How have you been?
      June 5, 2018 11:08 PM MDT

You may be right! I suspect you are. I probably don't follow things as closely as I might - I just sit back and expect others to do the work and provide for me lots of questions to answer :P
      June 3, 2018 12:28 PM MDT

On the subject of grammar and spelling, weekend is one word. But my main question is that, allowing for a 24-hour variation in time zones, isn't it the weekend at least part of the time in the entire world at once?
      June 3, 2018 6:28 PM MDT

Maybe. Are there cultures that don't have calendars and don't care about days, weeks etc? (Other than retirees, like me. Every day is a weekend.)
      June 4, 2018 6:36 AM MDT