Active Now

Pet Eater
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » Has the tariff war economicists warned about arrived? Does the U.S have an advantage being more an importer than an exporter?

Has the tariff war economicists warned about arrived? Does the U.S have an advantage being more an importer than an exporter?

Posted - June 2, 2018

Responses

Sure, why not. ;+
      June 3, 2018 12:21 AM MDT

The supposed tariff war is only NOW being discussed - I think most of them hoped that Strumpet would see sense... IMO that was pretty stupid of them since Strumpet doesn't have any sense.  However, in any event it would take some time to come into effect.. Remember too that MOST, if not ALL other countries prefer to weigh their options and consider the implications before  taking action. It's called being rational, you know, kinda the opposite to how Strumpet behaves. 

I've no idea whether it is a fact that the US imports more than it exports.. I know the UK imports more from the US than it exports.  For this reason we probably won't retaliate, but I would suspect others would and will. It's only fair, like for like. 

The thing we all have to remember is that it's more than likely not that simple.. Even if the UK and the US import more than they export presumably they still want and need and care about their exports... so for that reason it seems an unpredictable move to slap tariffs on things without considering the implications. I think many people are in abject denial and/or ignorance about how much America relies upon their connections and influence world wide.. you kinda can't be both isolationist AND bring money into the country from exports, which is where economies DO make their money/growth and you can't expect to be an international player with influence if you are also aggressively isolationist.. 

June 3, 2018 7:25 AM MDT