Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Communication » Am I brave or just stupid? Am I opening myself up for a debate I don't have time to indulge in?

Am I brave or just stupid? Am I opening myself up for a debate I don't have time to indulge in?

As I was ploughing through my assignment; the one which I should be doing instead of asking questions here; the one I am very behind on..  I had this wicked thought pop into my head... And it amused me, so I thought I would share.. Please, if anyone is at all offended or feels angry I will remove it.. Especially Randy D, who I know has seemed quite cross on a previous occasion where I mentioned his name in a post. 

But I wondered, just what the great and wonderful Randy D, (respected and admired by myself and others) would make of my assignment! If he didn't die of boredom through reading it, I am sure he would make mincemeat out of the grammar! He'd have the time of his life correcting all those grammatical errors! And I might even gain a few points when it gets handed in to my tutor :P Mind you, I'd need to re-draft it to get rid of all those crossings out and red-ink marks :P

Posted - June 5, 2018

Responses

Show me the assignment. I am a great proof-reader.
      June 5, 2018 7:12 AM MDT

You would seriously die of boredom! And what's worse is that it's very subjective as it's all about analysing my own performance? I am sure you really wouldn't want to comment on my performance :P 

I suspect I am going to run out of time anyway on this.. I am no where near finished - so there may not be time for proof-reading :(
      June 5, 2018 7:55 AM MDT

I never turned in proofs. I would just tell the professor that whatever I give him/her is the final product.
      June 5, 2018 8:06 AM MDT

(no where nowhere)
      June 5, 2018 9:55 PM MDT

I would say you are not any of those but just fascinated with Randy!  Of course there is such a thing as correct grammar.  But the main key to what makes it correct should be the ease of understanding it gives rise to.  And I really have to wonder if he really derives any enjoyment from correcting our grammar.  Even when we have made no mistakes which require correction. 
      June 5, 2018 8:34 AM MDT

• I'm on holiday now. You could post me your final draft and I'd go through it with the grammar comb.

However, next time you have an inter-semester break I recommend you look up the Oxford English Grammar site online. It's brilliant.
    It outlines every aspect of UK grammar concisely.
    It provides tests to help you gauge your level.
    And it offers a wide range of practice exercises with access to the answers.

I also highly recommend:
    The Elements of Style by William Strunk and E. B. White - for brevity, a necessity in essays to condense all thoughts into the word count.
    and
    On Writing Well: The Classic Guide to Writing Nonfiction by William Zinsser - for academic writing.

I'll send a friend request so you can reach me more easily.
      June 6, 2018 2:44 AM MDT