Active Now

Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Deuteronomy 24:16 and Exodus 20:5 don't track. They say opposite things. Which do you believe and why?

Deuteronomy 24:16 and Exodus 20:5 don't track. They say opposite things. Which do you believe and why?

DEUTERONOMY

"Fathers shall not be put to death for theirs sons nor shall sons be put to death for their fathers. Everyone shall be put to death for his own sin. The son will not bear the punishment for the father's inequity nor will his father bear the punishment for the son's inequity.

EXODUS talks about a jealous GOD and says not only will the sinful father be punished but also second and third generations. The sins of the father will be passed along to the son and the grandson.  That is what an admittedly jealous God who is vengeful says will occur.

How can it be both?  How can each sinner be responsible only for his own sin and at the same time suffer the punishment for his grandfather's and father's sin(s)? Inconsistency isn't it? Is GOD a dual GOD? A good side guy and a bad side guy? Split personality? Duality. Yin and Yang. Dark and Light. Good and not-so-hot? What used to be called MANIC DEPRESSIVE but now is called something else? If so then GOD is not perfect right? How can an imperfect anything be a GOD at all?  The writers didn't get their stories straight before they sat down and wrote these chapters. No brainstorming. No conferences. No attempt to get it right FIRST before putting pen to paper. Which is why so many people do not believe that the Bible is the word of God. If so God is erratic quixotic idiosyncratic quirky. A changeling.

Posted - June 17, 2018

Responses

In this case, a modern Christian would quote the changes that the Christian New Testament would provide. Jesus brought a lot of 'new stuff' .  (and I will not quote any, because it gets complex)
      June 17, 2018 8:05 AM MDT

Thank you for your reply bh. What is simple these days? Isn't everything complicated. I'm gonna ask. :)
      June 22, 2018 4:09 AM MDT

Generational sins or generational curses refer to the idea expressed in the Ten Commandments in Exodus 20:5: “I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children, on the third and on the fourth generation of those who hate me” (see also Exodus 34:7; Numbers 14:18; and Deuteronomy 5:9). In other words, the guilt for someone’s sin would pass from one generation to the next. When God would actually execute His punishment on Israel for the generational curse was to be up to Him, not the civil leaders. They were not to punish people for the sins of their fathers. So God explained to them in Deuteronomy 24:16, “The fathers shall not be put to death for the children, neither shall the children be put to death for the fathers: every man shall be put to death for his own sin.” :)
      June 17, 2018 8:57 AM MDT

(Deuteronomy 24:16) “Fathers should not be put to death for what their children do, and children should not be put to death for what their fathers do. A person should be put to death only for his own sin.
    (Exodus 20:5) You must not bow down to them nor be enticed to serve them, for I, Jehovah your God, am a God who requires exclusive devotion, bringing punishment for the error of fathers upon sons, upon the third generation and upon the fourth generation of those who hate me,

See if this helps:

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2010210?q=%22which+says+that+Jehovah+brings+%22&p=par

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2010210?q=%22which+says+that+Jehovah+brings+%22&p=par

June 19, 2018 6:06 AM MDT

We all answer for our own actions.

But as a child we do pay for choices our parents make. ie. If Mom gets pregnant as a teen, she likely does not have the finacial ability or even the mental ability of an older more mature Mother. If Dad is an alcoholic,  the child certainly suffers, or if Dad has a poor job and has to work 80hrs a week, the children will suffer because he is not around as much. Every action/decision we make effects our children. 
      June 19, 2018 6:18 AM MDT

Well sez who?   I believe BOTH.  God created us - we are God's.  God created us to praise God and obey God.  If we do anything else we sin and God may punish us - who knows when? That is God's business.  I worldly government we not to punish anyone for something that person did not do. Because we are not God we can not make ourselves god or assume for ourselves what is God's privilege and power. 
      June 19, 2018 6:46 AM MDT