Active Now

my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Relationships » Would you ever date a person who has all of the personality traits that you look for, but looks a lot like your sister or brother?

Would you ever date a person who has all of the personality traits that you look for, but looks a lot like your sister or brother?

Is that a deal breaker?

Posted - June 17, 2018

Responses

I only have a sister...  but I guess it boils down to attraction and personality... I don't think I have ever dated anyone that looked like my family...  but I suppose anything is possible... 
      June 17, 2018 9:59 AM MDT

Hmm..
    I guess it affects me occasionally because my sister is only 6 years older.
    She has a similar style and appearance as a lot of the women in my age group.
    I just read a profile of a woman today who seemed awesome and when I looked at her picture it was like looking at my sister.
    Same color hair and facial features.
    This woman has so many good qualies and she is in a similar situation with a child to raise and she didn't seem materialistic at all.
    I just know that if I dated her and we became a couple that everyone in my family would look twice and think that I have a thing for my sister.
    LoL!
    Not sure if I want to go down that road.

This post was edited by Summer at June 17, 2018 7:57 PM MDT
      June 17, 2018 10:09 AM MDT

Ahh but do you fancy her.. are you attracted to her? If so then you are just one of many who are attracted to people with similar familial features.. so what's so awful about that?  I am wondering too... is it just that you think she looks like your sister or are we talking point blank can't mistake it kind of similar? 

I guess we really should go with our instincts on this one.. and not worry about what people think...  I am sure your family just want you to be happy :)
      June 17, 2018 10:29 AM MDT

Like she really looks like my sister.
    It's hard for me to overlook.

I'll be honest with you though.
    I always tell people that my sister is beautiful.
    She is.
    I'm not attracted to my sister like that, but I'm not stupid either.
    I know that she is what people typically see as attractive.

It just makes it difficult for me at times if I meet someone that looks like her.

I know it's weird.

June 17, 2018 10:47 AM MDT

I guess I don't think it's weird! There's a well known phenomenon where people are attracted to people with similar familial features. If she is attractive then that's what counts.. if she is nice that's what counts.. 
      June 17, 2018 11:40 AM MDT

My sister is a white woman, blonde and thin.
    Usually I go for women who look different.
    I honestly don't really have a type, I like them all.
    I really can't imagine that I will try to date that woman who reminds me so much of my sister though.
    I think my sister would even think it was weird.
    Hey maybe I can just tell her the issue and get her to completely change her look. LoL!
      June 17, 2018 3:13 PM MDT

I only have sisters, so this wouldn't be an issue for me.
      June 17, 2018 10:25 AM MDT

Wait, is this with or without you telling my wife?

~
      June 17, 2018 5:00 PM MDT

With.
      June 17, 2018 5:09 PM MDT

Oh. 
      In that case, I'm not allowed to participate. 

~
      June 17, 2018 5:14 PM MDT

I think she'd notice no matter how or who she looked like.
    It's just a guess, but, I DO have a feeling Mrs. Randy D is not only pretty but pretty darn observant as well.....
      June 17, 2018 7:59 PM MDT

June 18, 2018 6:14 AM MDT

More anecdote than answer, but somewhat unique"

A few years ago I sprained my left wrist and did some physical therapy to speed healing.

One of the therapists where I went was a doppelganger of my ex-wife.  (And I did not marry her because she was ugly.)

Fortunately, she did not specialize in the hand therapy area.

I would have had to ask for another therapist, and I'm not sure how I would have done that delicately.
      June 17, 2018 7:08 PM MDT

Thank you.
    ~

(The word "unique" cannot be quantified.  It means "only".)
      June 18, 2018 6:16 AM MDT

I am aware that it cannot be quantified; however, I used it as if it could be qualified since using "somewhat unique" is a slightly apologetic way of posting an answer that does not directly answer a question.

Were we exchanging video feeds I would have skipped "somewhat" and used body language to avoid someone commenting, "So what does that have to do with the question?"

Admittedly, I seldom go to such trouble unless I am in the mood.
      June 18, 2018 7:53 PM MDT

I have no sisters or brothers. So, I guess I'm in the clear.
      June 17, 2018 7:15 PM MDT

That a tough coin to toss.
    I'm going to say, Yes.
    I would be able to differentiate WHY I was attracted to my soon-to-be partner, no matter who they looked like. This post was edited by Merlin at June 18, 2018 6:15 AM MDT
      June 17, 2018 8:01 PM MDT