Active Now

Reverend Muhammadovsky
Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Even though India is mostly Buddhists, women are often beat publicly in the streets and no one, not even the Police will interfere, because it's just a woman. Are you familiar with this?

Even though India is mostly Buddhists, women are often beat publicly in the streets and no one, not even the Police will interfere, because it's just a woman. Are you familiar with this?

Posted - August 13, 2016

Responses

• Bez

What happens there when a woman publicly beats a man in the street? Do the police interfere then?

August 13, 2016 11:00 PM MDT
  • Bez

For someone who professes to be obsessed with large boobs, you seem to have a strange attitude towards women.

August 13, 2016 11:01 PM MDT

If a woman beats a man, he will just beat her harder. It's unlikely they will marry a feminine man because the woman's family chooses her husband, they typically choose someone masculine and who can provide.The women are very submissive, most marriages are arranged. Some young girls marry a 13 or so by running away from home and they are beaten oftentimes too. It's very odd to be how Buddhists can do this.

August 13, 2016 11:07 PM MDT
  • Bez

Is it really that bad, Camel? What about the men who enjoy being beaten by women (because their horoscopes make them that way)? What about the women who enjoy beating the crap out of men (because their horoscopes make them that way)? If these two join forces they can each do what comes naturally and both will be consenting adults, and their marriages could be arranged according to that. I would never expect a woman to be submissive if her horoscope says she was born to be anything but submissive, so why is that any different in India? I can see how being exposed to people deviating from their horoscopes could lead to them leaving home early, but I don't think rushing into a marriage that might be disastrous is the ideal solution. I wouldn't have thought any of this would fit in with the Buddhist way of life either.

August 13, 2016 11:16 PM MDT

I ha an Indian girlfriend for four years and she had witnessed a lot of it as a child even and she lived in one of the most wealthy cities in India. I did a lot of study on India at that time.

I have seen very man examples of this happening. Women are treated as second class citizens just as they were here a few decades ago. There are many incidents caught on camera and we know that only represents a few.

Since there are something like 1.2 billion people in India, I would say percentage wise it's not very significant but it is significant to these women.

One theory I have is after India got it's independence in 1947 from the British occupying forces killing and beating them, maybe they had just become accustomed to violence.

Have you watched the Ghandi movie? It gives a great portrayal of his life and India during British invasion.

August 13, 2016 11:30 PM MDT

Ok, that's the way they do things in India. It's not my business. Not yours, either.

August 14, 2016 2:18 AM MDT

• Hinduism is the largest religion in India, not Buddhism. Buddhism originated in India, but it is now a minority religion there and the largest Buddhist countries are places like Thailand, Burma, and Japan. Either way, I'm not sure what that has to do with the misogyny that occurs in India. It's culturally based more than it is religious. This also shows that this kind of behavior crosses cultural boundaries. In many cultures women are second class citizens, viewed no higher than property of men. Until that view is dispelled, this kind of thing will continue. It's also more common in poorer less educated countries.

August 14, 2016 9:47 AM MDT

•   August 14, 2016 10:13 AM MDT
  • Bez

There is actually something like a 748th of a billion people in India, I've checked that on a calculator. All this billions talk is exaggerated nonsense and it doesn't impress me in the slightest. I didn't expect you to be taken in by that scam, Camel, I'm sure you know better than that.

I saw the Gandhi movie once but, as well made and well-acted as it may be, it did absolutely nothing for me in terms of entertainment. Films like that just don't appeal to me. I'd much rather watch something like "Carry On Up The Khyber", a hilarious farce which brilliantly mocked the British invasion of India while at the same time having a plot revolving around underpants. Lol:)

All this aside, I still don't understand why (a) women are treated like second-class citizens in India or anywhere else, and (b) why they don't rise up in rebellion against it using whatever instincts they have supplied to them by their horoscopes. What in the world is stopping them?

August 14, 2016 12:58 PM MDT
  • Bez

How can you just love "parts of them"? Either you love them completely, full stop, or you hate everything about them, full stop. One or the other. Nothing in between.

August 14, 2016 1:00 PM MDT

Wait, what? Isn't this a reply?

:|
      August 14, 2016 3:12 PM MDT

I thought I India was mainly Hindu.

August 14, 2016 3:43 PM MDT

• It is.  About 80%.  Buddhism amounts to less than 1%.  Nevan's answer is essentially correct.

August 14, 2016 8:19 PM MDT

Oh, so you are one of those pacifists?

August 14, 2016 11:29 PM MDT

I don't know why I get Buddhism and Hinduism mixed up so often and look like a complete idiot. I am really close to being a total idiot, but not totally. Thank you for your answer and correction.

August 14, 2016 11:32 PM MDT

Yes it is and I don't know why I get those two religions tangled together so often. :/

August 14, 2016 11:33 PM MDT

Me too sometimes Camel.

August 15, 2016 12:10 AM MDT

Don't ask for any logics. He does not like any strong woman who oppose and have stronger arguments than he can produce himself. Vile remarks on violence and the worse will be his only counterpart when in lack of any valid argument. Basically, he's a misogynist which is rooted in his own insecurities.
      August 15, 2016 1:55 AM MDT

*like*

It is more common in poorer less educated countries but still also an issue in the modernised western countries. Look up the misogynist representing GOP who's running for POTUS. It's remarks and attitudes like his that keeps suppressing women in the public. Look up some of the questions inside Q&A here at aM. Tells we are still light years away from equality between the genders.
      August 15, 2016 2:00 AM MDT