Active Now

WelbyQuentin
Danilo_G
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Animals (Wild) » What are some of the ways and places that animals in the wild store food to be eaten later? ~

What are some of the ways and places that animals in the wild store food to be eaten later? ~

Posted - July 14, 2018

Responses

• Crocodiles - "meat safe"

July 14, 2018 6:00 PM MDT

https://video.nationalgeographic.com/video/weirdest-shrike

Shrikes have a unique way of storing their food. Rather gory, but pretty cool. 
      July 14, 2018 6:21 PM MDT

We have a house mouse.  We didn't know we had one until about a year ago.  I reached into our bathroom closet to get a towel.  As I pulled it out a bunch of bird seed fell on the floor.  I found this odd but brushed it off as a careless mistake.  I must have fed the birds and then folded the clothes, spilling some of the seed.  A few days later, I went to do laundry and bird seed was in the pocket of Don's jeans.  Hmmm.  Don doesn't feed the birds, I do. A couple weeks went by and in my tennis shoes was more seed.  A bunch of it.  Now I think I'm really getting careless and sloppy.  This can't be. I began to find only the white seeds out of the bird seed in the strangest places.  Sometimes at the end of our bed when the blanket off in the night, in the spare bedroom in the pillow cases, in the back of the desk drawer, just to name a few. 

One day, I saw her.  I sat down and she had her cheeks so full of bird seed I thought she was going to burst. She was tiny but her cheeks were HUGE!  We befriended her and named her "Zippy."  She is really fast and ran up Don's leg one night when he was working. 
    We haven't seen her for a while.  We're hoping she is still alive, somewhere.  She may have had the misfortune of meeting the owls, hawks, and coyotes that also live on our hill. I hope not.  

Wherever Zippy may be, she certainly has a wide variety of hiding places for a ton of food. 
      July 15, 2018 2:46 AM MDT

not sure
      July 16, 2018 4:39 PM MDT

I'm not sure either - gosh, what's wrong with us? 
    Oh wait, other than what's already been mentioned, I recall now that foxes sometimes bury uneaten food for later (often leaving some of the dead creature visible above ground). Of course, some dogs hide food for later too. I guess everyone knows squirrels hide nuts etc. and apparently sometimes, or often,  forget where they secreted their cache.
      September 12, 2019 9:18 AM MDT