Active Now

Shuhak
Randy D
Zack
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Family » Any idea how I find out my mom's insurance companies that she had when she was alive if I don't have the information?

Any idea how I find out my mom's insurance companies that she had when she was alive if I don't have the information?

My brother stole all the paperwork and I have to start from square one.  The pig has seven thousand dollars of mine that is in an insurance claim that was left to me. I need to find out the name of the insurance company so I can collect before the statute of limitations becomes effective. 

HELP?

Posted - June 27, 2016

Responses

Call a lawyer, I think. Other than going to every insurance company she was likely to be registered to, I don't know what you can do. Maybe there's something you can do to force your brother to give up the information. Who's the executor of your mom's estate? I'd start there. If it's your brother, welp, better get some more legal advice.

June 27, 2016 11:41 AM MDT

IMO, finding out the insurance company would be the easy part, compared to getting them to pay and to issue you the check. The insurance company had a contract with your mom and anyone who is not a legal representative probably won't get a word out of them, let alone a check. If you were/ are her legal representative and you can prove it, then it's much easier.

As for the insurance company, I would sleuth it. Think about how your mom got the policy. Did she buy it on her own? Was it a medicare policy? Was it from a spouse's employer? If it's the latter, you can Google the name of the employer along with terms like "employee insurance" or "Retirement insurance" or something. 

If she was getting regular medical care, you can call the doctor's office, too. They're not supposed to release the info to you unless they had her permission to, but if they know you, they probably won't bat an eye at your request. 

June 27, 2016 12:10 PM MDT

Call the state department of insurance.  Some states have a way to quickly determine if a social security number has a policy.   If your state can't help,  try policyinspecter.com.  You can go to MIB.com and click on "Assistance Finding Lost Insurance."   I think there are some other options that aren't free.  I would also write a short letter inquiring about the policy with mother's full name, last few addresses, and last four of her social.  Provide your contact information and address.  Print out about 15 copies, put your original signature on each copy and send one to each of the major life insurance companies.  Be sure to inquire with the company who had her car insurance too; lots of them offer life insurance.  If you know if she had a whole policy or term life will help you narrow down the companies.  Good luck, Sharonna.

June 27, 2016 1:14 PM MDT

I am in the will and it is already beyond question that the money is mine.  I need a copy of the will.  They already paid my brother his half and he is holding any information for me to contact them to get mine.  This is insane.  Thanks JA

I don't know how to find out the freaking name   All I have to do is call them and they will send it.  They already supposedly told my brother they were sending me the paperwork  I never got it.  So, my brother who is a pig from hell is not allowing me access to the money.   Any ideas? 

June 27, 2016 3:03 PM MDT

OK This sounds like a great start.  THANK YOU

June 27, 2016 3:04 PM MDT

June 27, 2016 3:43 PM MDT

you could try calling different insurance companies and tell them your situation and they can check and see if your mom was on them

June 27, 2016 6:42 PM MDT

Beneficiaries on a life insurance policy only need provide a death certificate to get paid when there is no estate opened in probate.

June 27, 2016 6:50 PM MDT

:)

June 27, 2016 6:53 PM MDT

I will tell you finding a life insurance policy without knowing the insurance company's name is a bit like finding a needle in a haystack. After doing the obvious of going through old papers to find some clue, there are a couple of websites to try. The first place to try that is free is the NAIC, National Association of Insurance, their website: http://naic.org/state_web_map.htm can put you in touch with your states Department of Insurance or DOI, to see if they have a life insurance was policy filed under the insured’s name in the state. Not all policies are filed unfortunately. If you don't have any luck there then try one that does charge a search fee of approximately $75.00 by the MIB Solutions website http://www.mib.com/lost_life_insurance_howto.html . Good luck!

June 27, 2016 6:54 PM MDT