Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » anyone know anything about those grant boards?

anyone know anything about those grant boards?

someone i've known for yrs gave me their email so i figured since i knew the person id check it out. when they asked for information they asked me for my facebook username and password, i told them i didnt feel comfortable giving it out.  then they later sent me an email saying how much it costs for each grant and its not cheap, thought grants were free, i told him i cant afford it, then he tells me to go to the bank and ask them for a loan for it and then when i get the grant i could pay the bank back, i told them to forget the grant. are they trying to scam me or what, didnt give out any bank info. any ideas of whats going on?

Posted - July 19, 2018

Responses

It's a scam.
    Grants are free. You don't have to pay money to apply for a grant.
    Nobody needs your Facebook password. Ever. 
    I would actually report this person to the police. If he's doing this to you, he's probably done it to others.
      July 19, 2018 6:58 PM MDT

you have a point but i dont know his name to report him
      July 19, 2018 7:12 PM MDT

:/ That is also a major warning sign. If you don't even know his name and he's asking you for cash and credentials, he's going to eat you alive. 

You can report this to the FBI: https://www.ic3.gov/complaint/default.aspx 

Or, contact your local police department.

They may be able to get everything they need from you even without a name, especially if you kept the email and can forward it to them. Failing that, they'll ask a bunch of questions that will help them identify him. BUT, please don't tip him off that you're involving the authorities. It'll give him time to cover his tracks. It's far better if he thinks everything's ok because then they'll have a better chance of catching him. 

Whoever this person is, he's not your friend. He really is trying to steal from you and possibly steal your identity to commit more scams. 

July 19, 2018 8:33 PM MDT

It’s a complete scam. Anyone asking for personal information, passwords, and account usernames is doing what’s called phishing to scam you and/or steal your identity. Always be skeptical of any e-mails or phone calls like this situation. You can report the e-mail to the FTC. They should be able to indentify the person’s IP Address. Here’s a link which will guide you how to report this:

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0003-phishing This post was edited by Rizz at July 19, 2018 8:46 PM MDT
      July 19, 2018 7:15 PM MDT

Don't talk to those people again.  I'm glad you sensed it was not legit.
      July 19, 2018 9:37 PM MDT