Discussion » Questions » Outside the Mug » Would you be ok with naming your child after your partner's deceased significant other?

Would you be ok with naming your child after your partner's deceased significant other?

So... apparently Nate Berkus' son was given his former partner's middle name as a first name. The partner passed away (or rather disappeared) in a tsunami years ago. He's obviously moved on and now has two children with his current love of 10+ years. While I think the sentiment is nice, I can't help but wonder what Jeremiah (new partner) really thinks of having his baby named after his partner's former love. I really don't know if I'd be cool with that. 

What say ye?

Posted - August 1, 2018

Responses

Id be ok with that if it is a really nice name.
      August 1, 2018 1:12 PM MDT

IDK how i feel about that. On one hand it is a nice gesture on the other hand it seems like them wanting to keep the person a part of the now instead of the past.  Not fair the the child as well, it is a heavy burden for a child to bear. 
      August 1, 2018 1:50 PM MDT

It all depends on if I like the name or not....maybe as well if you liked the
    person that died also....if you had never met him \ her ,what would it matter ...
      August 1, 2018 2:42 PM MDT

I'd be fine with it if I liked the name. I've Googled, and Oskar wouldn't make the cut for me, but to each their own! 
      August 1, 2018 6:10 PM MDT

That would be a stretch.  If he wants to remember her then let him do it on his own without using our children. 
      August 2, 2018 8:36 AM MDT

i dont see why not, everyone else does it
      August 2, 2018 4:40 PM MDT