Active Now

WelbyQuentin
Zack
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » Natural sleep remedies

Natural sleep remedies

I have been suffering from insomnia for several weeks now. I don’t take naps. I’m tired and worn out all day but I can’t sleep at night. I tried melatonin and it only helps me fall asleep for a couple of hours at most. Then I’m awake all day. Does anyone know any natural remedies to help me sleep? I refuse to take medication to help me sleep. 

Posted - August 2, 2018

Responses

All of the above are excellent suggestions which leads little room to add (since I agree with them all.)  However, I do have one up my sleeve.
    It goes in conjunction to thinking of other things, letting it go, and meditating.  Not only that, it is good for you.
    It is quite simple and something, I guarantee, you already know how to do.

Please start on your back with the blankets and pillows just as you like.  Not too many pillows but where your head is comfortable and in line with your back.  A little neck support is always good.  Close your eyes lightly, relaxing your facial muscles.  It is o.k. to allow your jaw to drop and your eyes to slow down. Think about your body and the bed and how comfortable you are.  Shhhhhh.  Breathe.
    In through your nose and slowly out through your mouth.
    Concentrate on breathing in, and releasing.  Do it at any depth or pace you feel comfortable.  Please don't hyperventilate.  That will put you in an entirely different sleep you do not want.

As you do this start at your toes and stretch them apart and up to the stars for 10 seconds more or less.  Then release and relax.  Wait 2 breaths and once again.  Wait 2 breaths and move  to you ankles.  Touch your two big toes and push your ankles out. Breathe and release.  Breathe and release. Push your ankles together and your toes out, kind of like a ballerina.  Breathe. release.  Continue with all your joints and body parts.  You can make up how they stretch as you think and are aware of them.  There is no right or wrong way to do this as long as you continue to concentrate on your breathing.  :)

Pretty soon, you will be off and your body will be relaxed and you will have sweet dreams. 
    Good Luck!
    Don't forget to breathe and release.  Oxygen is a good thing to have in your body. ;)

Just a quick note:  My mom is a strong believer in a cup of warm milk.  I find the warm milk and classical music works as well. :) :) This post was edited by Merlin at August 5, 2018 7:56 AM MDT
      August 3, 2018 7:33 PM MDT

• Sounds like the first chapter of this book which teaches how to have your best day ... anytime you want it.  (in regards to sports).  The first chapter teaches you how to relax.

August 4, 2018 3:15 AM MDT

Thank you ALF :), What a kind gesture.  
    I learned this trick when I was showing hunter/jumpers up and down the west coast.  My Grammie taught it to me. I have a lot of natural energy anyway and when I was on the circuit, I was frazzled.  It really did help.  Even if I couldn't get into deep sleep, it still gave my body quiet time.  To this day I have a hard time shutting down my brain.
    Now-a-days we sleep with the TV on the History or Science channel. It helps keep me distracted. Sometimes we turn on Wrestling!  Just kidding!:) I just didn't want to bore you to death. :)  I wouldn't recommend this strategy to anyone. 
    Thank you again ALF.  I most definitely would like to read it.  Please show me how and our TV may finally get a well-deserved rest too! 
    Big Hugs and Smiles!!  :) :)

August 4, 2018 3:50 AM MDT

• Your Grammie's method and the book's method are similar, but a long ways from being exactly the same thing. The biggest difference is that the book teaches the use of a "key word/phrase" to be used at the end of each exercise, thus associating the feeling of relaxation with that word. This way, after a time and practice, all one has to do is say "the word" and that relaxed feeling returns ... without having to exercise each time.

Anyway ... it worked for me and the book is still in print.  Enjoy!
      August 4, 2018 8:55 AM MDT

Awesome.  I look forward to it. :) :)
      August 4, 2018 9:02 PM MDT

Doing strenuous activities with a person named Merlin. HEY WAIT!! There's a person on this very website named Merlin. OH, SNAP!!!
      August 3, 2018 8:03 PM MDT

Huge Smiles and Laughs and a Little sweat on the side! 
    Love Ya Zack!! :D! :D! This post was edited by Merlin at August 5, 2018 7:56 AM MDT
      August 4, 2018 8:56 PM MDT

All natural ingredients:

August 5, 2018 7:59 AM MDT

One of the many reasons you are one of my heroes Element :) ;)!  They are all natural :) ;)
    It is GREAT to see you!!  
      August 5, 2018 12:17 PM MDT