Active Now

Reverend Muhammadovsky
Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » Natural sleep remedies

Natural sleep remedies

I have been suffering from insomnia for several weeks now. I don’t take naps. I’m tired and worn out all day but I can’t sleep at night. I tried melatonin and it only helps me fall asleep for a couple of hours at most. Then I’m awake all day. Does anyone know any natural remedies to help me sleep? I refuse to take medication to help me sleep. 

Posted - August 2, 2018

Responses

It might be worth your while to contact a sleep clinic to find out what is the underlying reason for your insomnia.  It could be your mattress/pillow is to blame, could be too cold/warm in your room, could be too noisy, could be you're hungry or thirsty.  Treating the cause rather than the symptoms is not the solution.
      August 2, 2018 1:37 PM MDT

Thank you.
      August 2, 2018 1:38 PM MDT

I discovered that I seem to wake up about the same time after I've fallen asleep so I stayed up to see what was happening, if anything, at that time.  Turned out that's when the sanitation truck was collecting trash on my block and that was what was waking me up.  I got one of those sound machines, put it on white noise, and sleep like a baby unless I have to get up to go to the bathroom.
      August 2, 2018 1:40 PM MDT

I live on a quiet street. I turn off all electronics at least thirty minutes before bed. I stop drinking caffeinated beverages by 4:00 P.M. I exercise at least four times a week. I just cannot sleep at night.  
      August 2, 2018 1:43 PM MDT

Then you might consider the sleep clinic to determine the cause of your sleeplessness.  Good luck.
      August 2, 2018 2:30 PM MDT

4 pm is way too late to drink caffeinated beverages. Giving them up entirely is best, but even limiting them to breakfast only should help.
      August 2, 2018 3:40 PM MDT

What’s weird is in the past I could drink a pot of coffee at work and go directly to sleep when I was home. In the past caffeine had no effect on me. I last read stop all caffeine intake 6 hours before bed. 
      August 2, 2018 3:43 PM MDT

Our bodies change as we age. I used to be like that, but now any caffeine after mid-morning has an effect on my night's sleep. 
      August 2, 2018 3:45 PM MDT

Sometimes insomnia is due to an active mind.  In other words, the body wants to rest but the mind won't shut up. (e.g. worrying about future activities, rehashing the days events).  If this is the situation, meditation may help.  What you want to meditate on is up to you.  Something calming, soothing, relaxing...  A waterfall, some clouds, a garden ... 

Personally, I meditate on letters.  I start with a base pair of letters and then see how many words I can make form them by placing each letter of the alphabet in front of them.  For example, base letters = "ar".  So a+ar = not a word (0),  b+ar = bar (1 word ), c+ar = car (2 words ), d+ar = not a word (0), e+ar = ear (3 words) ... and so forth.  When you get to "z", make up another base pair and do it again.  I usually only get half way through 3 base pairs before I'm asleep.

Meditate on whatever makes you feel the most relaxed.  As you do you the world around you will fade away ... clocks, sounds, heat/cold... your cares will disappear.  When stray thoughts will come into your mind, simply let them pass through and focus on your mediation.   If you wake back up in the middle of the night, just do your mediation again.  Calm, relaxed ... easy ... soft... 

It takes practice - especially learning how to let stray thoughts simply "pass through", but it can be done. 

There, you just got a free sleep therapy session
      August 2, 2018 2:57 PM MDT

exactly i have come to find that out too overactive mind could be the mind problem also stress 
      August 2, 2018 3:01 PM MDT

Thank you so much for the suggestions and insight. It’s greatly appreciated. 
      August 2, 2018 3:31 PM MDT

In addition to the above suggestions ... if melatonin doesn't work, you may want to try tryptophan.
      August 2, 2018 3:01 PM MDT

Excellent. Thank you!
      August 2, 2018 3:31 PM MDT

put out any LED lights from devices those light keeps the brain active and tricks it to think it's still daytime 
      August 2, 2018 3:03 PM MDT

I turn off all electronics and lights at least half an hour before bed. 
      August 2, 2018 3:32 PM MDT

• Going along with Shuhak's meditation suggestion (taking your mind off your every day problems by thinking of something else) ... 

August 2, 2018 3:39 PM MDT

i heard the less you take the better you sleep
      August 2, 2018 3:51 PM MDT

Eat a half cup of warm white rice right before you go to bed.
      August 2, 2018 5:48 PM MDT

Stop watching TV, laptop and mobile phone at least a couple of hours before you sleep, as the screens are so bright they wake you up.

Bananas and turkey contain a chemical that help you sleep, which is why people often dose after Christmas dinner.

Try a mug of cocoa, or warm milk.

try writing down anything you feel you need to get out of your head, if you need to write a "to do list" in order to let go of the day then do that.

try a warm wheat or rice bag around or neck.

Check for any tension or pain in your jaw, some people suffer TMS from teeth grinding at night and this tension can keep you awake, massage your temples as well.

Read a book that helps you let go, and put's relaxing thoughts in your head.

Failing that there may be a medical reason why you cannot sleep and a sleep clinic may help this.

August 2, 2018 5:57 PM MDT

Warm milk and calcium pills at bed time. Tums = calcium pills

If you haven't been getting much sun, consider taking a vitamin D supplement. This post was edited by Not Sure at August 5, 2018 7:55 AM MDT
      August 2, 2018 6:21 PM MDT

Interesting about the sun Not Sure.  I am very happy to agree with you based on my own experiences.  I know I feel much more relaxed and/or worn out after being outside in the sun for any extended (over 7 hours) time.
    If I have been in a controlled environment for that amount of time, I get fidgety and want to be outside.  I am not claustrophobic.  I just feel better when I am in the sun.
    I never thought about the vitamin D factor.  Good to know.  Thanks! This post was edited by Merlin at August 5, 2018 7:55 AM MDT
      August 3, 2018 7:10 PM MDT

Take a long walk after dinner.
      August 2, 2018 10:23 PM MDT

An orgasm works for me. I'm not being prurient, the "little death" that men tend to experience unless we deliberately push through it beats every other method I've ever discovered.
      August 2, 2018 10:40 PM MDT

Absolutely!!!!!  When done right, sweet dreams and sleep tight! :) :)
      August 3, 2018 7:11 PM MDT