Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » If you align yourself with or defend racists/bigots/white supremacists what does that say about you?

If you align yourself with or defend racists/bigots/white supremacists what does that say about you?

Posted - August 12, 2018

Responses

Yes, those are the ones I'm speaking about. The people who are screaming their bigoted/racist/white supremacist beliefs.  

My question was, if you align yourself with those people, what does it say about you? 
      August 12, 2018 9:07 PM MDT

Excellent answer. ;)
      August 18, 2018 2:59 AM MDT

What a goofy question. You need to be a little more aware of people as living beings. They don't decide to be scumbags or whatever insult you choose to call them, they simply obey laws of the universe. You are judging them as if you are obeying laws of the universe. So who is to say your laws are right and theirs are wrong? 

Example: A few years ago there was a case in Texas where two white men tied a black man to their pickup and dragged him until he died. A Ku Kluxer came from a neighboring state to run his own investigation and he made a statement on television: "I don't think race was involved. That boy prolly stole something from them and they wuz jist payin' him back. Race had nothing to do with it." In his universe, the laws were 1) All black men are named "boy". 2) All black men are thieves. 3) All white men are honest and just. 4) The penalty for thieving is death. 5) White men are naturally empowered to judge and execute a thief without a trial.

The goofiest aspect of your question is that you seem to expect somebody to judge himself and produce a valid conclusion.
      August 12, 2018 1:19 PM MDT

Somehow you managed to not speak a word denouncing either the cruel murder of the black man or the bigoted mindset you attributed to them.  This post was edited by Don Barzini at August 12, 2018 9:16 PM MDT
      August 12, 2018 2:20 PM MDT

Don, read it again and try to see what the example was referring to. (HINT: It's about obeying universal laws, not judging a murder case. I am not qualified to judge the case. Neither are you.)

About the sexist part: Yes, I am totally sexist. When I get close to somebody I want a woman. NO SUBSTITUTES! MUST HAVE ALWAYS BEEN A WOMAN! This post was edited by Not Sure at August 12, 2018 3:53 PM MDT
      August 12, 2018 3:50 PM MDT

I understood it the first time, and in what universe is dragging a man to death acceptable? One that deserves our derision. One that is devoid of your God’s law. That was a hate crime in this universe, those rednecks went to prison for it, and you curiously omitted these facts.  

As for sexism, we can only imagine what female would be a) “manageable” enough to make your cut, and b) so lacking in education and self-respect to allow one who thinks so lowly of women as you do to be close to her. 

I might guess you live alone. This post was edited by Don Barzini at August 12, 2018 9:17 PM MDT
      August 12, 2018 4:15 PM MDT

Mr. Barzini your comment I think pretty much defines what I think of as "political correctness" - we are not allowed to speak of just facts without putting the proper "spin" on them.  Goodness there is so much cruelty in the world and we know it exists but we have to somehow make lives for ourselves in the world in spite of it.  We can't change the world and we can only do what we can to help our little part of it. 
      August 12, 2018 4:58 PM MDT

If calling a spade a spade is political correctness, then that’s news to me. Our friend @Not Sure doesn’t recognize evil and yet he’s only guilty of not putting “spin” on it? Rationalizing a racist murder as a “law of the universe”? 
    Forgive my laughter.  This post was edited by Don Barzini at August 12, 2018 9:18 PM MDT
      August 12, 2018 5:07 PM MDT

I may not understand entirely but are you saying that if you think someone is a "spade" you feel justified in labelling them a "spade" and calling them a "spade"?
      August 12, 2018 5:26 PM MDT

Perhaps you are unfamiliar with the phrase “calling a spade a spade”.
    It means openly identifying something for what it plainly is. Pretty much the opposite of political correctness. 

Hence, I wasn’t labelling anyone a spade. 
      August 12, 2018 5:59 PM MDT

Fortunately many of us can judge ourselves.. It's hard to believe such ignorance remains but assuming, from your example, it does, then it sounds like some drastic education, (assuming they have the mental capacity and aren't quite as backward as your example seemed to portray) is needed. Ignorance of that magnitude certainly isn't obeying natural laws of the universe it's feeding children utterly ignorant dogma... Seriously needs to change. 
      August 12, 2018 2:28 PM MDT

Again, I was speaking of groups who are quite vocal and proud of their racist/bigoted/white supremacist beliefs. Didn't say anyone was a scumbag.

Your example is simply too ludicrous (or goofy, if you prefer) to comment on. 

August 12, 2018 9:15 PM MDT

The answer's pretty self-evident.. but I am betting there are all kinds of excuses, denials and smoke-screens put up to avoid facing what it really means
      August 12, 2018 2:12 PM MDT

All kinds indeed! This took some really crazy twists and turns, didn't it? 

August 12, 2018 9:32 PM MDT

Birds of a feather flock together
      August 12, 2018 3:08 PM MDT

I don't go around labeling people such things simply because they don't agree with me. 
      August 12, 2018 4:18 PM MDT

Neither do I. 

I'm speaking of groups who are openly proud of their racist/bigoted/white supremacist beliefs. 
      August 12, 2018 8:30 PM MDT

Like I wrote I would not point fingers.  I would not want to be involved with such groups because they do not reflect my views.  And seems to me that if all you have going for you is that you are one color instead of another that seems pretty desperate.  But I would interact with them and have fellowship with them as individuals  because I believe that is only right. 

Being "bigoted" simply means we favor one thing over another and which one of us does not?  We are all basically selfish but we are only losers if we fail to cultivate unselfish traits and activities. 
      August 13, 2018 5:41 AM MDT

I avoid interaction and having fellowship with people like that as much as possible. When I do encounter them, I tell them that I believe their views are intolerant and wrong. I believe that standing up for what is right is only right. 

I was referring to this definition of bigoted:
    https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bigoted

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/bigot

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/bigot

August 13, 2018 3:25 PM MDT

• It would say that I'm not a child of God, nor that we are all His children.  God would be ashamed of me, as well as I at myself not so deep down inside.  I certainly wouldn't turn away life-saving care from someone just because they are of a different race/ethnicity, and hope they wouldn't refuse mine if in need.  We got to get over this color/ethnicity thing and start loving one another instead of defeating ourselves.
      August 12, 2018 4:58 PM MDT

• It says you're on the wrong side of history. 
      August 12, 2018 11:27 PM MDT