Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Have you had a time in your past when you were richer or poorer than you are now? How was it?

Have you had a time in your past when you were richer or poorer than you are now? How was it?

I used to have a lot more money... I was always fairly sensible but had the freedom to buy or do whatever it was I needed or wanted...  Now I have next to no money, and obviously things are very different.. I have to think about every purchase even those of  £1 or more.

Posted - August 13, 2018

Responses

I wasnt making as much money before I started working at the prison, but I also lived at home. I’ve been in my own for almost the entire 16 years I have been employed at the prison. I am able to week overtime almost every day so I can save a lot of money. 
      August 13, 2018 2:45 PM MDT

Navy pay sucked when I first joined, but gradually increased as I went up the ranks. Same for teaching. I am financially secure. I never felt poor and I am not rich.
      August 13, 2018 3:04 PM MDT

OH YES!! I still dream of the times I was earning money like a boss, but those days are long gone. UNFORTUNATELY!!!
      August 13, 2018 3:12 PM MDT

Ahh so you know how it feels too :( OK so we aren't dying, we can get by, we can scrimp and scrape through.. but it was a lot nicer when we didn't have to worry about money.
      August 13, 2018 3:14 PM MDT

When I was married I had MUCH more money than I do now, and was very unhappy. 

I'm not saying that more money wouldn't be nice, but worrying about not having money kept me in a terrible situation for a long time. I'm financially poorer by a long shot, yet am much happier. 
      August 13, 2018 3:54 PM MDT

• "Yes, of course."  I believe it is a life experience that shows you who you are.

"You are at your very best when things are worst."
      August 13, 2018 4:04 PM MDT

oh yeah things weren't exactly better but i was more flexible
      August 13, 2018 4:18 PM MDT

I grew up in a poor, empty household, my sister and I had virtually nothing. I once endured 2 entire school years with the same 2 pairs of pants; my sister got her clothes from my cousins. Both my parents were pathetic drunks, essentially unskilled, couldn’t hold paying jobs, and we moved countless times to escape landlords demanding overdue rent. My parents never owned anything; cars, homes, appliances ...nothing. We never had a vacation. Meals were often something from a can and toast.
    I found my solace in school, studying and learning, anything to keep me from having to go home. In time, I earned an academic scholarship to UVA.

This is what drives me, even today.

After a 9-yr tenure in the military, I finished my business and engineering degrees and founded a start-up business with my best friend (we’ll call him Ray). Ray and I, and our fabulous cadre of employees, working ridiculous hours and overcoming many daunting challenges, grew our business into a very profitable enterprise. Seventeen years in, I sold the majority of my share of the business to Ray and his new partners, and retired. I was 44 years old. I have never regretted this. 

There’s no easy way to articulate how a childhood of dire need and want drove me to earn the prosperity my wife and I enjoy today. I could not allow my kids to be raised in the conditions I was.

What gratifies me the most, is that we were able to ‘spread the winnings‘ to the small army of marvelous people whose efforts made it possible. None of their kids will endure my childhood either. This post was edited by Don Barzini at August 14, 2018 7:32 PM MDT
      August 13, 2018 4:21 PM MDT

Excellent story and my hat’s off to you. You overcame it instead of feeling sorry for yourself. 
      August 13, 2018 4:40 PM MDT

There was some of that too. But it doesn’t take much effort to see how futile it is. A good life doesn’t just fall on us. 
      August 13, 2018 4:48 PM MDT

My forefathers were multi-millionaires.  When I was 19 I was kicked out and became homeless, meaning with no permanent address.  I gradually worked my way up after almost 50 years to the point where I can pretty much buy what I want but my wants are pretty simple after so many years of scraping by.  I hated being poor.  Having more money means I don't have any financial problems.  This is better but happiness doesn't go up indefinitely with increasing wealth.  Relationships with people are more important by far. This post was edited by CallMeIshmael at August 14, 2018 7:33 PM MDT
      August 13, 2018 4:26 PM MDT

My husband died on Halloween of 2016 but was very bad at saving money; however, he was an attorney, and when the kids were little and growing up, they wanted for nothing. Neither did I. Luckily, we bought our house and my grandmother left me a little something something. But it is not like it was, when my husband was alive and kicking butt in the legal profession. 
      August 13, 2018 4:28 PM MDT

• I was richer monetarily when I was younger, but didn't know God at all.  Now I know a little of God and am thus richer by far spiritually, but have less money.  I spent it waywardly over the years and now retirement will be hopeless unless a pile of money suddenly falls in my lap.  I can and do say I'm happy, though, with few regrets, except for the fact that the money will eventually run out.  I need a job.  I beginning the call-back phase for the applications I've put in.
      August 13, 2018 4:44 PM MDT

Much luck in your search. We older candidates face an uneven playing field. 
      August 13, 2018 5:15 PM MDT

• I'm definitely seeing that.  It's not easy contending with youth.  Thanks very much for the well wishes.
      August 13, 2018 5:20 PM MDT

I have always been around money.  And not tons of it, but I have always lived in comfort and contributed, but I have never been self-sufficient rich. 

I have more money now than I ever have, which is good, because I appreciate even the small stuff I own.   But it is the first time I have a house and it is really kind of awesome. 

So, I feel rich in comparison to having to put up with others in order to live comfortably.  I learned compromise, but it is nice to do my own thing for once.
      August 13, 2018 8:49 PM MDT