Active Now

Slartibartfast
Danilo_G
Malizz
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » Have you let something fester until it manifested into a mental illness?

Have you let something fester until it manifested into a mental illness?

Posted - August 13, 2018

Responses

I'm not sure I like the way this is phrased. Mental illness is complex and I don't feel like it's something people do to themselves. You don't cause your own mental illness. 

I think, generally speaking, mental illness comes in two forms: physical issues (chemical imbalances/ brain structure issues) and behavioral issues. 

So, we could say that the person going through a bad breakup "let it fester." They were depressed and didn't get help, then maybe turned to substances or suicide. That's not really a fair assessment. People break up all the time. People experience mild depression all the time. What sets that person apart from someone who bounces back? It usually goes back to one of two things- either their brain isn't doing what it's supposed to do- perhaps not manufacturing hormones or not receiving them or a part of their brain is over/ under-developed or they've experienced some form of trauma in their life that may have given them the coping skills to deal with that trauma, but no longer serves them well. You don't just get rid of your subconscious thought processes and behaviors. You can't. They're ingrained in you. You have to be able to look at your actions and thoughts and find out where they're coming from, then learn new ones. 

If you have a structural issue with your brain, it's incredibly difficult to treat. If you have a chemical issue, medication can help. If you have previous trauma, working through it can help. Oftentimes, therapy includes multiple components because mental health issues are so complex. 

I would never place the blame on someone for having a mental illness. We all cope with crap the best we can. Sometimes, those coping mechanisms stop serving us well later in life. To blame a person for coping the best they are able is to further stigmatize mental health issues. 
      August 13, 2018 7:16 PM MDT

Well said. 
      August 13, 2018 7:19 PM MDT

Hell to the yes.

The pain body can take hold like a virulent cancer.

I have held pure blind hatred for a few members of my family who are just plain horrific.

It made me sick.  I don't need that in my life any more.  I let go.  I felt lighter and better.  BUT?

Now I feel like that about Trump.  It is worse, actually.  When something this HUGE is impending, there is no looking anywhere.  It is everywhere and it is awful, from the war threats, to the global warming signs, to the Roe v. Wade abolishment sending us back to the 50's, to immigrants are no longer welcome to marijuana is for evil people, to White Supremacy is composed of some very fine people.

Need I go on?

So, it is not really me.  It is not in my head.  It is in every breath I inhale.  My freedoms are disappearing as I write this.

August 13, 2018 8:17 PM MDT

Very much presumes the "toxicity" model - that if something if something is "festering" inside you somehow need to get rid of it or it will grow and take you over.  Which really I don't accept of agree with.  I don't regard myself as mentally ill nor do I choose to concentrate on how I might possibly have been victimized by whatever.  I have a life to lead and I lead it as best I can and with as much enjoyment as I can.  We deal with what we feel and what happens to us as best we can and we process things to the best of our abilities.  If we feel we need help there are all manner of "professionals" out there willing to take out money.  I prefer to concentrate on the positive excitements and pleasures and responsibilities of life rather than on the negative festerings. 
      August 17, 2018 7:40 AM MDT