Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Legal » THE DEATH PENALTY.........

THE DEATH PENALTY.........

Soooooooooo

what's the big deal about the death penalty?

why not???

you killed someone, why should all of us taxpayers pay to have your fat ass languish in prison for the rest of your life?

HUH???????

now I mean the death penalty when there's NO POSSIBILITY THAT THEY ARE GUILTY.....

far as that goes, why not just use a firing squad to eliminate all the fuss 'n bother over what drugs to use.

oh & of course how inhumane that they should suffer!!!  (gee, how about the one whose life you took!?!?!)

people think I'm nuts to mention a firing squad, but just think about it for a moment..

not sure what the 'rules' are, but I read somewhere that they use 5 shooters, and only one has a live bullet; none of the shooters knows which one, of course.

then..

BADA BING!!!

IT'S OVER AND DONE WITH..........

but I think I'm just the 'lone voice' in this....................

oh well............YOUR THOUGHTS ON THIS? AND PLEASE NO SMARTASS REPLIES.............OK???????????????  :-D

Posted - August 17, 2018

Responses

I agree with you on the death penalty part.  It SHOULD be used - when there's no possibility that they're guilty (e.g. caught on camera, witnessed by numerous people, confessed).  I don't really care about how it's carried out, just so long as it is carried out.
      August 17, 2018 9:08 AM MDT

When it comes to this sort of situation, I've been fond of the saying, "Take 'um behind the barn and shoot 'um."  Don says, "Why waste the bullet?  Get a rope."  

There are certain crimes that take precedence in my book.  Pedophiles are one of them. For those, I think brutal punishment is better.

I don't like to think my tax dollars are supporting these men and women in jail.  Why do we keep these kinds of people alive?  I don't know.   I do know, it is unnatural to want to kill another human.  Maybe that is why your understanding of the firing squad is no one knows the kill shot.   If a person has a notion to do such a thing, like kill another, it has either been trained into them or they aren't wired correctly. 

I am a strong believer in an eye for an eye IF you are caught with the smoking gun.  Unfortunately, now I think the judicial system has become more a game than if the person is guilty or not guilty.

There are some people who will not change.  Locking someone up is not making them better.  It is making them angry.  When they get out, they don't know how to fit in.  Society changes at a blink of an eye.  If you aren't living it everyday, it IS going to be hard to fit in.  This is not helping the already isolated criminal.  It is going to make him/her more anxious.  For some, it's a no-win situation.    

This post was edited by Merlin at August 17, 2018 4:22 PM MDT
      August 17, 2018 9:19 AM MDT

There's  a third option on why one has a notion to kill - they don't care.  Human life means nothing to them.
      August 17, 2018 4:01 PM MDT

Good point.  It is a sad state of affairs when a person gets to that point. :(
      August 17, 2018 4:11 PM MDT

I agree...except for your fifth line. It should read ...THERE IS NO POSSIBILITY THAT THEY'RE NOT GUILTY.
      August 17, 2018 9:35 AM MDT

• "If you believe in reincarnation, then the death penalty is the same as parole."
      August 17, 2018 10:17 AM MDT

• "It's over and done with". So tell me then. Why are people executed decades after they commit crimes? The death penalty is a joke. 

August 17, 2018 10:31 AM MDT

There is an appeal process when the death penalty is handed down.  If you have a good lawyer or if you can research the appeals process yourself and write a brief, you can postpone death for a long time.  
      August 17, 2018 2:02 PM MDT

I'd rather they be placed in prison for life.

For one ... there have been too many people found not guilty, after being sentenced to death.
    There is no "Oops.  We made a mistake.  You're free to go." once you're dead.
    And there really is no amount of compensation you can give to the family to compensate for the fact you killed their loved one.

For another ... if the person is guilty, they should be punished for a LONG time.
    They should be removed from society, with no possibility of rejoining it.
    I would prefer a Soviet gulag-type removal ... where they are responsible for their own housing, food.
    Of course, having separate gulags for men/women prevent the possibility of children.
    No communications with the outside world, either.
      August 17, 2018 10:42 AM MDT

And mayhap an opportunity to commit suicide.
      August 17, 2018 1:13 PM MDT

There you go again, Element, finding that silver-lining on a stormy cloud... or is that a glimpse of the shiny needle?? 
      August 17, 2018 6:07 PM MDT

"For one ... there have been too many people found not guilty, after being sentenced to death.
    There is no "Oops.  We made a mistake.  You're free to go." once you're dead."

I've thought of that, too. And it's happened way more than once, I believe.
      August 17, 2018 2:42 PM MDT

I believe in the death penalty under restricted circumstances and only when there is clear and positive proof that the person committed the crime, i.e. DNA evidence, credible witness or witnesses.  I don't believe in taking the death penalty off the table if the criminal agrees to plead guilty unless there is so much doubt that if brought to trial, this person might be acquitted.  One of the recent school shootings comes to mind, if I'm not mistaken, where the killer agrees to plead guilty if the death penalty is removed.  You wantonly kill X number of people, you don't deserve to live and if the prosecutor can't make that case against you under those circumstances, he should be barred from practicing criminal law.  Child/sex trafficking - death penalty.  Killing for gang initiation - death penalty.  

As for the way the execution takes place, people are dying of overdoses left and right and the states can't think of a "good" way to execute a person?  Please - fentanyl right into the vein.  In fact, some state just used that in the last day or two for the first time.  I didn't hear the prisoner complain.
      August 17, 2018 2:16 PM MDT

Your answer here is well-said, too, SpunkySenior.
    :)
      August 17, 2018 3:23 PM MDT

Thank you. :)
      August 17, 2018 6:29 PM MDT

I'm all for it regardless of who it is. Just not when it's my a** on the line.
      August 17, 2018 2:17 PM MDT

Somehow

"We're going to kill you to show that killing people is wrong"

doesn't work correctly in my head.

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at August 17, 2018 4:00 PM MDT
      August 17, 2018 2:40 PM MDT

I can understand that, but I also believe that there are some crimes that are so heinous that taking the life of the perpetrator of those crimes is justified.
      August 17, 2018 3:02 PM MDT

Well-said, SpunkySenior! I rarely can make a cohesive statement in one sentence.

I still, though, strongly question when we humans, as organized and civilized societies, justify killing others in retribution but I see your point, too. Some crimes are truly godawful. 

And, yet, we do it all the time in times of war --  kill each other, that is. So why not with the death penalty? (I'm just thinking out loud some more.)

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at August 17, 2018 4:00 PM MDT
      August 17, 2018 3:19 PM MDT

I agree with you about war.  There was a time when, if we went to war, it was against an enemy that directly harmed us (WW II).  Since then, war has just become part of the Military Industrial Complex and is a business.  Declaring war on whomever attacked the U.S. on 9/11 would have been justified, but it was not another country and attacking Iraq when most all of the hijackers were Saudis and were most likely trained in Pakistan of Afghanistan was "shock and awful."  At this rate, we will never extricate ourselves from the Middle East.
      August 17, 2018 4:03 PM MDT

It does seem that that could be a possibility.
    :(

Right when I am reading your comment here, this song is playing in the room --  a favorite song by my favorite group Simple Minds 

"Let There Be Love"

~ dedicated to all of us; if only all of humanity could do it

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at August 17, 2018 6:25 PM MDT
      August 17, 2018 4:08 PM MDT

I know that peace is what we all would like, but i fear it is not in the nature of man to live in harmony with everyone and everything around him.  
      August 17, 2018 6:26 PM MDT

Because we are human and we make mistakes......I'm referring to us as judge and jury.  I do not feel enabled by God to kill another in any circumstance but defense of self and family.  Also, I believe that those who go to war are doing so in defense of their country which is essentially self and family.  I have never supported the death penalty.  I will agree that if we, as a society, feel we must kill those people convicted and sentenced to death, we have a duty to do it swiftly and efficiently.  I think a firing squad is both and probably less expensive than electrocutions, lethal injections, and gas chambers.  
      August 17, 2018 3:55 PM MDT

I‘m a 100% in favor of the death penalty when there’s 100% proof the person is guilty. I believe the death penalty should be extended to rapists, child molesters, and pedophiles. And to heck with the lethal injection. A good old rope is cheaper and as effective. These scumbags deserve no mercy or compassion. 
      August 17, 2018 4:24 PM MDT